Requirements for Synology Photos

Currently reading
Requirements for Synology Photos

NAS
DS216j, RS815, RS816, RS819
Hi!
I want to retire my old 216j and buy a bigger NAS, mainly to store my phone photos (+500Gb) and some files I keep on Dropbox, Drive and Onedrive....

On Synology's website I haven't found the recommended requirements for using Synology Photos.

Any recommendation on RAM and CPU?
Can it be more interesting to use cache memory M2 disks?

I think the Realtek RTD1296 may be small and I think 2Gb should be the minimum.
Correct me if I am wrong or tell me your experience.

Welcome to the forum.

I would go for a plus series NAS. You'll get more CPU oomph and the option to add more RAM. The non-value/plus (non-j/+) models in the two-bay DS range have not been updated for a very long time. So either something is going to be announced to replace them or they will wither. The question next is DS220+ now or wait a while to see if a DS223+ is released soon. The option of M2 SSD cache is not currently in the DS220+ but is in the other DSx20+ and DSx22+. Though you could alternatively use standard SSD drives for the main storage, if your needs aren't for large TB.

Originally you were seeking bargain prices. These new units won't offer that initially (wait until Black Friday 2023), and the x23 series promises more hardware/software lockdowns.
In terms of drives, these lineup will not be Syno brand only, just a heads up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.