• Hello Guest! SynoForum.com is celebrating its 5th anniversary! 🥳🎉 Read more...

RT6600ax Reset only the (admin) password without factory reset the router

Currently reading
RT6600ax Reset only the (admin) password without factory reset the router

NAS
DS918+ DS1522+
Router
  1. MR2200ac
  2. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I ran into a weird situation when I changed a crucial setting on my ISP modem, which in turn disabled the WAN connexion. So, from my router's point of view, the Internet was gone. Since I'd setup a 2FA (OTP) on the router, and since that type of 2FA requires getting the time from a NTP connexion, well I was locked out of my router: it was always reporting invalid 2FA code. I managed to fix the modem and all is fine now, but I'd like to know (just in case) how to reset the "admin" password without blasting off the entire router! But for the life of me, I just can't find a simple answer to my question: Does holding the reset button for 4 seconds will only reset the admin password, or will it factory reset it?

I've been in the same situation. I reset the admin password by a short press of the reset button. That is all it does. Your configuration for the router will be unaffected.

So a single, short paper clip pressure would do the trick.

So the steps would be:
1. Try to connect with your browser
2. Then obviously get denied access
3. Use a paper clip to do a simple click on the reset button
4. A reset window would popup in the same browser window allowing you to reset the password (and deactivating the 2FA feature too I suppose?)

right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.