restore / reset without losing your hard drive stuff

Currently reading
restore / reset without losing your hard drive stuff

hello does anyone know if you can restore / reset your nas model DS416PLAY without losing your hard drive stuff has 10 tb of movie so i don't think i can make a backup

remi off

I think “reinstall DSM but keep data” is what you’re looking for (in the article below). But I’ve never tried it, so wait until someone else confirms that they’ve done it and the data lived through it. Be careful.

here is official guide from Syno KBfor your request:
1. you can reset just administrator login credentials and network settings to default settings if you have forgotten your password, want to move your Synology NAS to another network environment, or need to assign a new IP address. Then all data will remain in the NAS.
Use the guidelines.
Don’t use the second reset type, otherwise you will lose entire NAS setup and data.

Reset Modes 1 and 2 do not touch the data partition. Mode 1 will reset your login and a few other things. Mode 2 will clear your config. It is well-described here.

And here...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OTOH, Factory Reset will clear the data partition.

I have done all three of these in the past.

Would like to mention that "3. Mode 2: Reset Synology NAS and re-install the operating system DSM" will not force a volume/pool delete if DSM is reinstalled, even though the warning will pop up.
Hello Rusty, for some reason my NAS suddenly lost connection and according to my colleague, he held the Power Button trying to reboot the NAS but not sure why, the NAS got reset and now it showing the Install DSM screen.
Based on the Synology guide, installing DSM should not affect the data but the below prompt message makes me think twice before hitting the OK button.

"All data on the hard disk(s) 1 2 3 4 will be removed during installation. Are you sure you want to proceed?"
[Checkbox] I understand that all data on these hard disks will be removed.

Would you please advise if my data going to be safe? I don't have any backup. :(

Looks like there must have been a problem during boot up and dsm got damaged. The notice indicates that the drives will be wiped but it will be actually the partition where the dsm lives not the data volume itself.

Ofc that is what should happen, but do keep in mind that the power button should also not initiate a dsm reinstall and yet here you are.

All in all you have little options here with no backup. So moving the drives to another functional syno nas and then copying the data would be best, but if that is not an option and you have a broken dsm, you have no option but to continues.

keep in mind that the power button should also not initiate a dsm reinstall and yet here you are.
Holding the PB in too many times in succession, will trigger mode 2... an OS install.

I've read too (not confirmed), that there is a "mode 3" (three reset pushes) which triggers the factory refresh. Any takers?

Holding the PB in too many times in succession, will trigger mode 2... an OS install.

I've read too (not confirmed), that there is a "mode 3" (three reset pushes) which triggers the factory refresh. Any takers?
Waw! Really!? Holding the PB triggers mode 2 even mode3? That's not even written in manual. :(
So if it really triggered mode 3, logically it shouldve just wiped off everything and should not have shown the wipe data confirmation, right? Any takers please?

I still don't dare to hit that OK button. :cry:

Waw! Really!? Holding the PB triggers mode 2 ... That's not even written in manual.
It's in my manual...
yIB2gRR.png

Looks like there must have been a problem during boot up and dsm got damaged. The notice indicates that the drives will be wiped but it will be actually the partition where the dsm lives not the data volume itself.

Ofc that is what should happen, but do keep in mind that the power button should also not initiate a dsm reinstall and yet here you are.

All in all you have little options here with no backup. So moving the drives to another functional syno nas and then copying the data would be best, but if that is not an option and you have a broken dsm, you have no option but to continues.
This is what I tried. And I guess I'm lucky enough the data are still there.
1. Turn off the nas
2. Unplug all the disks
3. Turn it on, and it will ask for disks
4. Plug the disks in, while its running
5. Complete the installation (It asked me to download the OS file)
6. Wait for installation complete and restarts, setup the nas as new

Thank you anyway! <3

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.