Restore to different PC

Currently reading
Restore to different PC

NAS
ds1817+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
I backed up a full non OS disk, anyone know how to restore the data to a -different- PC ?
I can only seem to restore to the original PC where the data came from ..

You might tag Morten over at the "Community". See this thread on bare metal restore:

Thanks, bare metal isn't what I'm after though.
I just need 1 disk restored to a different computer, not the whole OS. I looked at that restore wizard briefly but it wants to create bootable media.

So this isn't working?

bYK5c1C.png

I backed up a full non OS disk, anyone know how to restore the data to a -different- PC ?
I can only seem to restore to the original PC where the data came from ..
Just use Active Backup restore portal, log in with the same account and restore the data that way.
Also, what method of backup did you use exactly?

So it is the image of a partition? For example "D drive"?

If that's the case, the only way to pull files from that is either to restore it wholly to a partition or to mount that backup image (assign it as a drive letter) then copy the files from the mounted (virtual) partition.

To do what you want requires a file backup IIRC.

Yea I figured as much, time to switch to a different piece of software.
Backup software where you can't just specify a different restore target is a bit useless IMO >.>
Would have been a bit of disaster to find this out if the original PC had actually hard crashed.

Rusty was right, from ABB portal you can go down to file level restore:

1585736033792.png

Select task (Backup) at top right of screen, select disk from below PC name on left and it's contents are shown - right click any folder gives choice of restore or download

Rusty was right, from ABB portal you can go down to file level restore:

View attachment 1034

Select task (Backup) at top right of screen, select disk from below PC name on left and it's contents are shown - right click any folder gives choice of restore or download

Yea but that wasn't the question.
The question was if I could restore a selection to a different host than where it came from, and the answer is 'no'.
It only allows a restore to the computer it came from or a download .. but downloading 4Tb isn't really going to work I think.
Restoring to a different host should be an option IMO.

Yea but that wasn't the question.
The question was if I could restore a selection to a different host than where it came from, and the answer is 'no'.
It only allows a restore to the computer it came from or a download .. but downloading 4Tb isn't really going to work I think.
Restoring to a different host should be an option IMO.
And have you tried using a bootable AB ISO on the new host, connect to the AB NAS and restore that way?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.