Restore without the NAS

Currently reading
Restore without the NAS

Last edited:
Is it possible to restore an Active Backup which is copied to a USB drive, without the NAS? For example copy the img files to USB drive, Hyper Backup, or USB Copy.. whatever options available to use USB as an "off site". Then disaster happens and I lose the PC and the NAS, and my only backup is on the USB. I would want to buy a new PC and restore from USB without the NAS. Is this possible with Synology tools?

Not Active Backup backup. Hyper Backup (proprietary one) can be restored just by using a PC and Hyper Backup Vault, but not the ABB archive.

Saying that some data will be readable ofc but it depends how long it would take you to locate what you are looking for.

I was able to use Hyper Backup Viewer on Win10 to view into the USB Backup. Basically what I want is a bare metal from a USB (and that USB created by some Synology application, based on the ABB ideally). Sounds like this is not possible. In my scenario, I would have to buy a new NAS, restore the NAS from USB (HyperBackup), then restore the PC via ABB. Is that correct? I am new to Synology and still learning the verious apps and pieces and how they might work together.

Last edited:
I've used Macrium and Acronis in the past (for system recovery) as well as Windows File History (for file recovery). Being new to Synology I feel like ABB is leaps and bounds better than the others that I've used, being easy and almost automatic setup as well as how it integreated with the btrfs capabilities. But I'm stuck as to what to do if the NAS fails or I have a true 'disaster' and lose everything but the USB. I would have the USB copy but that doesn't seem very useful! :)

Unfortunately, ISP data caps prevent any realistic 'cloud backup' for me. I got my answer anyway, can't do what I thought I could do with the USB drive. Seems like a glaringly obvious missing feature of the Synology suite of tools. If a true disaster occured, I certainly could and would buy a new NAS. It's just not the thing I would want to be focusing on to do first in that situation. rebuilding a new nas before recovering the PC's... Hmm. I'll keep thinking about it.

The reason behind this is that ABB was primarily a "business" package targeting companies that would in return have a DR scenario in place when it comes to using this package. The fact that this particular package also works on most + models, made it an option for "home" use, but the DR side of the story is what it is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.