Restoring a backup, impossible to select volume?

Currently reading
Restoring a backup, impossible to select volume?

NAS
DS2419+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
I have a lot of data backed up using Hyper Backup. It's a backup being done between two identical DS1815+, each with a DX513 expansion unit. The main one died, and was replaced with a DS2419+, to which I now want to restore all the data from my backups.

I have two volumes on the DS2419+, and the problem I'm having is when I want to restore some of the backups to Volume2. The Hyper Backup restoration app on the NAS automatically restores the backups to Volume1, and I can't figure out how to select Volume2 as a target. Is this really not possible?

My only solution is to use a computer running Hyper Backup Explorer, then mount both the backup server and the new server to that computer, and restore to shared folders on the new server location on Volume2. But this makes all the data run through this computer, which seems unnecessary.. It's 35 TB of data, so it's taking a while.

Am I missing something here?

Hmm, I just opened a HB task to see what options I get for restoring a shared folder. I didn't get to select a destination volume either. My assumption is it would go to the same volume if it existed, but that also makes a leap that the restore NAS has the space on volume 2 to take it.

Otherwise everything gets restored to volume 1 and then you use Control Panel / Shared Folders to go through the folders and move them to volume 2.

I guess that's one way to do it also, but it will involve a lot of unnecessary data transfer between disks. Surprised the choice to select volume is not there.

Would it be different I had used snapshot replication? Maybe I should set up that as backup instead of using HB.

My assumption is it would go to the same volume if it existed, but that also makes a leap that the restore NAS has the space on volume 2 to take it.
Actually, it will restore by default to the same folder/volume where the initial files lived (in this case vol1). I have a separate volume that has more than enough space, and it still wants to restore to the original location that will be scanned and even reported that the shared folders already exist there (if they do) and that they will be overwritten.

So what @fredbert said @pelle2, restore to vol1 and migrate to vol2 via control panel > shared folders

Would it be different I had used snapshot replication?
S&R would allow you to do 2 things, Browse and Clone with a new name

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 12.18.17.png

Browse would open a File Station view that would allow you to browse and pick (copy as well) data where ever you want on a file/folder level. For exp, you are looking a specific file from that snap.

Clone with a new name would start a Control Panel > shared folder wizard that would allow you to create a brand new root shared folder with a new name and as well set all the settings you would normally be able to do, such as select a target volume, permissions etc.

So yes, S&R would allow you to do this a bit better than HB.

Are there any drawbacks to SR compared to HB?
Well, you can't back up to any cloud-specific targets, and you need an SR compatible NAS (that you have). Apart from that's it. Also for a full disaster recovery scenario of the Active Backup package, SR is also better than HB (it will make a 100% restore possible, HB won't in certain cases).

Also for a full disaster recovery scenario of the Active Backup package, SR is also better than HB (it will make a 100% restore possible, HB won't in certain cases).

so if we have AB, we should be enabling SR as a backup method for that? How does SR grab the package, I thought it would only snap the data/database of the active backup folder.

so if we have AB, we should be enabling SR as a backup method for that? How does SR grab the package, I thought it would only snap the data/database of the active backup folder.
The entire AB logic including the pc backups are stored there. If you were to install AB on a separate NAS and relink to that same folder, you would get everything back

Ahh makes sense.

so where exactly does hyperbackup fall short with AB?
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 14.37.39.png

ABM = Active Backup for M365. The same applies to ABB as well or ABG packages. The feature request was open from my end to implement these options into the HB tool at least for a compatible C2 destination if nothing else.

I can now provide the answer to my own question: It is possible to decide where the HB is restored to. If I create a shared folder on Volume2 with the same name as the one about to be restored, the restoration will end up on Volume2 instead of Volume1.

Discovered this a bit too late, but in case anyone else has the same problem, there is a solution.

I can now provide the answer to my own question: It is possible to decide where the HB is restored to. If I create a shared folder on Volume2 with the same name as the one about to be restored, the restoration will end up on Volume2 instead of Volume1.

Discovered this a bit too late, but in case anyone else has the same problem, there is a solution.
Tnx for the update. That never crossed my mind, but I guess this does work. Wondering if this is a bug or a "feature" :D

After switching from HB to SR, I discovered one huge drawback.. It's apparently not possible to have more than 32 SRs at the same time? Does anyone know a way around this?

Seems ridiculous that more than 32 shared folders can't be backup up at the same time.

After switching from HB to SR, I discovered one huge drawback.. It's apparently not possible to have more than 32 SRs at the same time? Does anyone know a way around this?

Seems ridiculous that more than 32 shared folders can't be backup up at the same time.
32 separate SR task or 32 root folders under a single task? What did you mean here exactly?

I meant shared folders, but you're right, it complains about the 32 "shared folder replication tasks", not number of folders per se.

But how do I replicate multiple shared folders with one task then?
I have selected multiple shared folders when creating the task, but each shared folder shows up as an individual entity under Replication-->Shared folder (and there's 32 in the list now, hence, I can't add any more).

But how do I make a new task? I thought that was what I had done all from the beginning.

EDIT: This is what it says:
View attachment 2978
Aha so you have more than 32 root shared folders? If that is the case you won't be able to pass more than 32 with a none XS or XS+ model. They can go to 64.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.