Restoring NAS after total volume crush (laboratory data recovery procedure applied on the HDDs)

Currently reading
Restoring NAS after total volume crush (laboratory data recovery procedure applied on the HDDs)

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi Guys! Hopefully someone could help me out with my issue..

Our DS918+ had been accidentally dropped down (physically) because of a human mistake from the desk it had been located during the initial install. The two HDDs, composing the Volume 1 (RAID 1) suffered almost unrecoverable damage. This was the primary partition of the NAS of course..
The Disk Station failed to mount the disks since. The hard drives were delivered to a specialized lab for data recovery. The lab succeeded to recover 99.95% of the data stored on the hard drives, including system files and folders. Everyone should be quite happy if not one thing.. The crashed Volume contained an encrypted shared folder with business crucial data and some important user notes in Note Station (I can see the folder on the recovery copy, but of course I cannot read/decrypt the contents of it it).

My question is : is there any way to copy the recovered data to a new HDD/HDD pair making the NAS to believe those were exactly the original ones it had before, so that the system comes back as it was and gives us access to our encrypted folder as well as to our important notes we had stored in the SYN's Note Station?

For the Note Station issue - I succeeded to locate the fts.db file, but when trying to open it with a SQLite Viewer - as advised in one of the topics on this forum as well - meet a password prompt and cannot get any further.

Unfortunately no HyperBackup had been done prior to the accident as we didn't finish to setup the NAS entirely when the case had happened.

Haven't dealt with this scenario, but once the array broke - I don't think there is a way to repair it. I hope you stored the decryption key when you made the encrypted folder...

Unfortunately not..
the encryption key was stored in one of the notes on the same device

you've lost the encrypted content then, at least...unfortunately.
well, apparently there is a way to recover the notes somehow, do you have an idea how to decrypt the encrypted folder by itself? (presuming that we can get out our key somehow)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.