Reverse Proxy not working, all Subdomains end up in DSM

Currently reading
Reverse Proxy not working, all Subdomains end up in DSM

Hi Guys, got the following setup:
- my own domain, connected with freeDNS to my public IP (i used Synology DDNS in external access - DDNS)
=> domain and subdomains i created in my freeDNS account all point at my IP (this is working fine)
- Port Forwarding of my DSM Ports to 443 and 80 (80 only for testing atm)

But whatever rule i setup in the Synology Reverse Proxy Manager (Control Panel - Login Portal - Advanced - Reverse Proxy) for my Subdomains, the will not be redireced and all just end up in DSM
Any ideas?

Hi Guys, got the following setup:
- my own domain, connected with freeDNS to my public IP (i used Synology DDNS in external access - DDNS)
=> domain and subdomains i created in my freeDNS account all point at my IP (this is working fine)

But whatever rule i setup in the Synology Reverse Proxy Manager (Control Panel - Login Portal - Advanced - Reverse Proxy) for my Subdomains, the will not be redireced and all just end up in DSM
Any ideas?
Welcome to the forum!

And the example of one reverse host record would be what?

Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean DSM ports? Those that are default 5000 and 5001, or do you mean you do a port forward of Router:443 to NAS:443 and Router:80 to NAS:80?

The reverse proxy feature in DSM is for directing to other web services that aren’t already in the Applications section. So if you have a local web service on device 192.168.1.100 you would put that IP address and its listening port (80, 443, etc) as the destination of the reverse proxy, and the source would be some unique received request (a FQDN, or port number) that the NAS gets.

1673200584517.png

accessing "111.111.1.11:1111" within my LAN works fine, but when i go to "https://test.example.de" i end up on DSM and not the service running at 111.111.1.11:1111

And there’s the problem
okok isee, i just played around now and tried some stuff, making progress here but still a bit wierd i think.
so port forwarding is now NAS:80 to router:80 and NAS:443 to router:443
but the reverse proxy rules somehow dont like every destination. if i set the destination to NAS_IP: DSM_PORT its working fine, but if i do some other port where other applications are running on the nas it doesnt connect at all and i get timeouts
but the ip and ports are correct and working, if i try them myself inside the LAN i can connect to it inside the browser with NAS_IP : APP_PORT without problems
-- post merged: --

okok isee, i just played around now and tried some stuff, making progress here but still a bit wierd i think.
but the reverse proxy rules somehow dont like every destination. if i set the destination to NAS_IP: DSM_PORT its working fine, but if i do some other port where other applications are running on the nas it doesnt connect at all and i get timeouts
but the ip and ports are correct and working, if i try them myself inside the LAN i can connect to it inside the browser with NAS_IP : APP_PORT without problems
and i get a Synology Page "

Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found.​

"

Last edited:
ok got it, setting the destination to the NAS_IP is not working, but setting it to "localhost" is working perfectly

only problem now is, but im not even sure if this is possible but i feel it should be:
is it possible to set the destination to something thats not localhost? like a other device IP thats running in the same LAN (for example a raspberry pi or whatever has a different IP)

i was able to isolate the problem a bit more, IPs from other physical devices are working, but virtual networks, for example a PiHole that is setup using MACVLAN drivers in portainer are not accessable

Port forwarding is the other way around: router port to NAS port. For reverse proxy is NAS to destination web server.

You have to think along the path of the request:

Internet based client device request -> your router’s Internet port -> you NAS port -> destination web service.

Think how the the client device ’sees’ the service they want to access: they can’t see anything but the router, it looks like they are accessing the router. So the router then has to translate the request to what it can ‘see’, the NAS. And so on.

open port router
HTTPS WAN 443 LAN 443
HTTP WAN 80 LAN 80

also open port in synology nas in firewall
443 and 80

This is what I did and it worked for me

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.