Reverse Proxy...... to avoid port forwarding?

Currently reading
Reverse Proxy...... to avoid port forwarding?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
A thought..... I run a forum on my NAS and at the moment forward port 80 to the NAS so that webstation works. I've a DNS entry which maps the URL to the Synology Quick Connect ID. This works perfectly. However the Orbi router (running Netgear Armor) does report back on a regular basis that:

NETGEAR Armor has detected and blocked an exploit attack to Synology-DS918+ from 80.85.241.15.

I'm wondering if reverse Proxy can be used in any way to remove the port 80 forwarding and so harden the security on the forum / NAS?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if reverse Proxy can be used in any way to remove the port 80 forwarding and so harden the security on the forum / NAS?
You can set a RP entry such that https://mywebsite.com redirects to http://someLAN_IP:80.

There's prolly a bunch of ways to do that, but forwarding 443 to NAS 443 can be one approach.

Of course, I'm guessing at you connections paths here, but maybe an idea or 2 will spring from this.

In effect I'm already doing that as mywebsite.com forwards to my Synology Quick Connect ID which is updated via DDNS to get the IP address. It's the forwarding part on the router I was thinking of bypassing but I don't think it's possible?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.