Question Reverse Proxy

Currently reading
Question Reverse Proxy

And a newbe question about Reverse Proxy

I use a VPN server running on my router + OpenVPN on clients for access from WAN,
in this case
is there a role for a Reverse Proxy ?

And a newbe question about Reverse Proxy

I use a VPN server running on my router + OpenVPN on clients for access from WAN,
in this case
is there a role for a Reverse Proxy ?
For remote access no, but you can use reverse proxy inside your network and across VPN to remove the need to have users specify ports all the time.

For example imagine you had running on the synology:
  1. container one listening for HTTPS on port 8567
  2. container two listening for HTTPS on port 3456
your could use combination of RP and an internal server to create two domain records called container1.internaldns.tld and container2.internaldns.tld and point these both to the synology. The you would configure the RP to use these host names t point to the IP (or localhost if running on same NAS) and their IP - now instead of always having to put https://someip:8567 they can just put https://container1.internaldns.tld and will get connected. This is very useful if you have client apps that need to work with split horizon DNS.

There are pros and cons in both nextcloud and synology,
Re Drive:
I have long list of improvements for the Drive, but Syno R&D is out of listening channel (already sent directly).
Drive has perfect potential, but needs more energy for the improvements. And Drive development can continue w/o waiting for the DSM 7.x dream.
Then I'm little bit angry, that Syno R&D invest they energy to re-labeling of existing SSD HW to their own SSD brand with thousand of tests, bla-bla .... It's a shoot in the dark.

Then I'm little bit angry, that Syno R&D invest they energy to re-labeling of existing SSD HW to their own SSD brand with thousand of tests, bla-bla .... .
Not to defend Synology but RAM, interface cards, etc. will be a source of both additional support cost (for no revenue) and brand damage due to non-matching parts and users blowing-off about it being 'brand' fault (not accessory maker's).

So own brand stuff will cost more due to R&D, sourcing, purchasing, and warehousing. I've seen examples back in the day where a vendor branded quad 100 ethernet card would be 4-8x more than an equivalent item but it wasn't worth risking the overall support package for $1000-$1500 saving.

Vendor branded makes sense for business as it simplifies purchasing and support, but for home users it doesn't at all.

yes, but Syno is miles away from the Enterprise market (support and critical features = backup of entire machine for a migration purposes or business continuity). SOHO and SMB will survive, but ...
Then they can start to solve these missed not just "enterprise" bugs, then they can open the enterprise market :cool:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.