DSM 7.1 Revert „home“ as Drive root, back to „Drive“ folder

NAS
DS218+, DS218j, DS1517
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all

At some point in the past, I thought it would be good idea to hit that convert button and turn my whole home into a syncable folder (before, only the subfolder Drive was synced). Note: Versioning was always enabled. That didn‘t have much of an impact for me since Drive didn‘t re-index the share at the time of conversion. That changed now, since I encrypted my shared drives which resulted in a re-index. Whereas before only a few gigs where used for my index, it growed now to 700GB, occupying almost 15% storage (data is only 1.45TB). If I switch off versioning, it goes down to almost 0 again. I actually like the versioning feature, though have it disabled for the moment. Fun part - most of my home stuff don‘t need versioning; my actual Drive folder is only 12GB (the data which I sync to my Desktop/Laptop).

My question: Is it somehow possible to revert this conversion and use the subfolder Drive again as the root? Eg. reinstall an old package, update it, but this time don‘t convert?

Thank you for your help.

No there was even a disclaimer or note that you cannot undo the conversion.
Thank you - I remember that disclaimer, yes. Though I hoped to find a way back, eg re-installing an old package or through some command line hacking… Bit of annoying that there is no way back given by Syno, but at least they warned me.

Last edited:
Should it be possible to create a new user, delete the old one including its home, restart, and re-create the original user?
By default I believe drive will not create the drive folder anymore, as the default drive folder where versioning happens. It will use the home folder as the root for any user including new. This is due to the setting being in drive admin then in versioning section for the home folder, the conversion was made at a top level.

Thank you - I remember that disclaimer, yes. Though I hoped to find a way back, eg re-installing an old package or through some command line hacking… Bit of annoying that there is no way back given by Syno, but at least they warned me.

I wanted to revert the sync back to the Drive subfolder as well and found this old thread, unfortunately without a solution.
So I did some investigation and found a way to make this work.

If you are still interested, please have a look at the tutorial I made:
Synology Drive - HOWTO: Revert Home folder sync back to Drive subfolder sync

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.