RMA DS1815+ has died after 1 year, same symptoms. Viable alternatives for a small business please.

Currently reading
RMA DS1815+ has died after 1 year, same symptoms. Viable alternatives for a small business please.

NAS
DS1815+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi,

As the title suggests, our year old RMA DS1815+ that replaced our 3 and half year old DS1815+ is failing in the same way i.e. erratic power downs/delay in subsequent powering up. Synology won't RMA their RMA even though it has only lasted a year.

I've read all the various fixes surrounding resistors/soldering etc but feel I need to get away from this particular model and possibly Synology if this is a running theme. As a business, the initial draw to the NAS is the fact it comes with quite decent backup software, Active Backup for Business, built into the price. I'm not sure if I can get the same functionality from another brand, or different hardware plus LAN backup software for the same price.

So my questions are, and apologies if they've been asked before:

1. Is there another model of Synology that is typically an alternative to the DS1815+ (I only use 6 bays and not the full 8) that doesn't share the same hardware faults and that will also read the data that is on my existing drives?

2. Is there another recommended brand model that will do the same software-wise for a similar price (or cheaper) to the DS1815+?

Apart from the obvious hardware issues I really like the DS1815+, it's a real shame they are problematic ,otherwise I'd buy another!

Thanks

Dan

1. Is there another model of Synology that is typically an alternative to the DS1815+ (I only use 6 bays and not the full 8) that doesn't share the same hardware faults and that will also read the data that is on my existing drives?
There is/are. The C2000 bug has plagued only the x15 series that used that CPU, but since then no other model has a similar case. So I can understand the will to move to a different vendor, but no other appliance vendor will offer anything close to ABB package (for free).

As it was said, other models are not affected by the same issue and Syno no longer uses those particular CPUs.

2. Is there another recommended brand model that will do the same software-wise for a similar price (or cheaper) to the DS1815+?
Not that I am aware. ABB with no licensing model has become the top app in their lineup, and competition still has no alternative solution to match it.

Apart from the obvious hardware issues I really like the DS1815+, it's a real shame they are problematic ,otherwise I'd buy another!
The new upcoming 8 bay (new 1823 is for sure in the works, but I have no eta on it), will probably be on an AMD CPU as that is the current MO, looking at the 2,4 or 5 bay models in the past year. Ofc, that might not be the case and Intel CPU could still be an option, but for 6 and 8 bays, Syno usually goes for faster CPUs, so it will either be an AMD or a yet unused CPU from the Atom linueup (like C3558R). So the upcoming 1623 (6bay) or 1823 (8bay) might have that one. This is just speculation, no official info as of yet.

There is/are. The C2000 bug has plagued only the x15 series that used that CPU, but since then no other model has a similar case. So I can understand the will to move to a different vendor, but no other appliance vendor will offer anything close to ABB package (for free).

As it was said, other models are not affected by the same issue and Syno no longer uses those particular CPUs.

Not that I am aware. ABB with no licensing model has become the top app in their lineup, and competition still has no alternative solution to match it.

The new upcoming 8 bay (new 1823 is for sure in the works, but I have no eta on it), will probably be on an AMD CPU as that is the current MO, looking at the 2,4 or 5 bay models in the past year. Ofc, that might not be the case and Intel CPU could still be an option, but for 6 and 8 bays, Syno usually goes for faster CPUs, so it will either be an AMD or a yet unused CPU from the Atom linueup (like C3558R). So the upcoming 1623 (6bay) or 1823 (8bay) might have that one. This is just speculation, no official info as of yet.
Thanks (again) Rusty, I'll have to make a decision soon so it will have to be something that exists and something with a history of not failing, lol. It makes it easier, albeit annoying, that the x15 series is the only one that exhibited these issues.

it will have to be something that exists and something with a history of not failing
All the current x21 6 or 8 bays have no reported similar issue at all. On the other hand those might come out in their refreshed version soon, but as said, I have no exact date.

You are probably experiencing the other "fault" with this series of NAS.

Namely, the "transistor" fault. It's an easy $5 fix, if you, or someone you know, is handy with a soldering iron.

It's here, right next to the 24 pin psu plug on your 1815+
Capture.JPG

You can fit a new BCA947 transistor, or alternatively bridge the emitter of Q4 with that on Q1. The top most leg of the pair to the top pad of Q1. Using a 1k resistor.

You are probably experiencing the other "fault" with this series of NAS.

Namely, the "transistor" fault. It's an easy $5 fix, if you, or someone you know, is handy with a soldering iron.

It's here, right next to the 24 pin psu plug on your 1815+
View attachment 12009

You can fit a new BCA947 transistor, or alternatively bridge the emitter of Q4 with that on Q1. The top most leg of the pair to the top pad of Q1. Using a 1k resistor.
Thanks, I've been doing quite a bit of reading on this, as I probably did last time I had to RMA, but doesn't this fix only buy you a certain amount of time as its on the degradation path anyway? I've kind of seen this as a last resort if I needed to get the data off if it got to the point it couldn't be booted at all...ironically mine's just booted up now after being unplugged for 3 hours but then the last one started doing that before it was returned, I never quite got to the 'completely dead' stage!

Typically, with the C2000 bug, you'll get lights on the NAS but no boot.
With the transistor bug, it'll just randomly power off, particularly, if it's in a cold place. Then it won't power on again, there will be no response when pressing the power button.

My first 1515+ lasted 4 years until the cpu bug bit me, the replacement they sent for RMA. Also lasted 4 years, until the transistor bug bit me!

It's been online for about 50 days now, since I did the transistor fix on mine.

How long will it last? Who knows? I do know I won't be buying another Synology.

Typically, with the C2000 bug, you'll get lights on the NAS but no boot.
With the transistor bug, it'll just randomly power off, particularly, if it's in a cold place. Then it won't power on again, there will be no response when pressing the power button.

My first 1515+ lasted 4 years until the cpu bug bit me, the replacement they sent for RMA. Also lasted 4 years, until the transistor bug bit me!

It's been online for about 50 days now, since I did the transistor fix on mine.

How long will it last? Who knows? I do know I won't be buying another Synology.

Thanks, I did have a feeling it was linked to temperature as the last one exhibited these symptoms in the middle of winter and after a particularly cold spell here in the UK. I've had the RMA in our office which is a bit warmer but, as we're in a warehouse type setting, the temps have dropped badly overnight/early morning which is when it seems to be losing power. Maybe waiting a few hours is linked to the inner temperature it needs/wants to be before it boots...maybe if I keep it permanently warm e.g. in an oven on low, it won't shut down........

:ROFLMAO: It may well help!

With mine, it would randomly power off but restart with a power button press. This went on for a few weeks, with the online time reducing each time. Until, it wouldn't power on at all.

If when you solder on a new transistor, it works, then blows again as soon as you put your drives back in.

You need to solder on an additional 1k resistor, as shown in this picture.

Capture2.JPG

Probably a foolish question... but are you protecting your 1815 with a UPS? I have had mine on a UPS since day one, and it is still going strong. I know there is a documented issue here with the transistor used, but I really do think that clean and stable power goes a long way towards preventing this.

Probably a foolish question... but are you protecting your 1815 with a UPS? I have had mine on a UPS since day one, and it is still going strong. I know there is a documented issue here with the transistor used, but I really do think that clean and stable power goes a long way towards preventing this.
Well the old one was when it was in the server cage in the depths of the (cold) warehouse but this one isn't. I take your point though! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.