RMA DS1815+ has died after 1 year, same symptoms. Viable alternatives for a small business please.

Currently reading
RMA DS1815+ has died after 1 year, same symptoms. Viable alternatives for a small business please.

If when you solder on a new transistor, it works, then blows again as soon as you put your drives back in.

You need to solder on an additional 1k resistor, as shown in this picture.

View attachment 12013
Can all this be done on a standard soldering iron? I've just been reading this thread/walkthrough:

on a DS1515+ and, with the aid of some desoldering braid and a magnifier it is implied that a normal sized soldering iron was used but those transistors are really small. I've soldered stuff before but not at that kind of level and I'm sure I read in a related thread someone resorted to using a rather expensive and more professional soldering iron as they couldn't do it with a standard one.

A good magnifier, mine's on one of those "helping hands" things. My soldering iron was £12 off Amazon!

I didn't even remove the board from the NAS. Remove the drives, top cover and unplug the 24 pin and LED ribbon cable. Wedge them out of the way somewhere.

Add a touch of flux and a small piece of braid, with the iron on top, has the transistor off in a jiffy.
-- post merged: --

That's a point to remember, it's a good time to change the battery it's a CR1220.

A good magnifier, mine's on one of those "helping hands" things. My soldering iron was £12 off Amazon!

I didn't even remove the board from the NAS. Remove the drives, top cover and unplug the 24 pin and LED ribbon cable. Wedge them out of the way somewhere.

Add a touch of flux and a small piece of braid, with the iron on top, has the transistor off in a jiffy.
-- post merged: --

That's a point to remember, it's a good time to change the battery it's a CR1220.
Thanks, good to know. I have a similar magnifier/soldering iron, I just need to grab some braid and a battery. So those three things (transistor/resistor/battery) should buy me a couple more years I guess...! :)

A dab of flux too, the solderers friend! You'll have to pull the board to do the battery, pull the back panel off, there's screws on top and underneath.

There's speculation, that the real cause of the issue, is a poorly specified psu. The Delta units providing too much voltage on the standby rail.
The fix is to change a resistor in the psu to a 10k one. Another version of the fix involves fitting a resistor 5k or 7k between the green wire on the psu plug to one of the black wires.

Oh my! I don't know what to believe.

My unit has been online for over 50 days since I did the "fix". I've not messed with the PSU. I guess I'll think again if it dies.

A dab of flux too, the solderers friend! You'll have to pull the board to do the battery, pull the back panel off, there's screws on top and underneath.

There's speculation, that the real cause of the issue, is a poorly specified psu. The Delta units providing too much voltage on the standby rail.
The fix is to change a resistor in the psu to a 10k one. Another version of the fix involves fitting a resistor 5k or 7k between the green wire on the psu plug to one of the black wires.

Oh my! I don't know what to believe.

My unit has been online for over 50 days since I did the "fix". I've not messed with the PSU. I guess I'll think again if it dies.
Thanks for this. Just read that Vaseline is good recognised alternative to flux.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.