Robocopy & is there an alternative?

Currently reading
Robocopy & is there an alternative?

NAS
DS213J
Hi,

Are there any known issues with using Robocopy on a DS213J? I was robocopying 500gb data between 2 x external SSD drives connected via USB and the NAS has repeatedly put one drive in read only mode. Only a restart of the NAS makes the drive available. Also the robocopy is completing thinking it's finished when it's actually missing almost 100gb of data. Clearly robocopy is having some issues.

Are there any built in tools which would create a complete copy of another drive?

Any ideas of how to fix the robocopy issue would be welcomed.

Thank you

SyncToy is the perfect choice but your problem will be with moving the large data at once , so per your request for Robocopy alternatives that will copy data what ever it sized with no loss , Duplicati , Carbonite , Gs Richcopy360 and SyncThing

Robocopy has some funky issues like this that can affect its twin--xxcopy.

When dealing with robocopy I will typically connect the usb drives to my local computer and map the nas drive letter. This seems to help. A lot of the issues come from the fact that the file system on the NAS isn't ntfs or fat and there's swithces like /FFT that are supposed to help with that.

Feel free to ask more questions about this since I use robocopy to replicate data to over 10 different nas units and have seen various issues over the years.

Perhaps there is a hardware hick-up in the USB drive, Synology think there is an error, and set that drive to read-only mode.
If it is an option, try switching USB-drives around, and see if that works.

There are way to many alternatives, for me to mention, to add to other suggestions:
"DSynchronize","Synkron","Toucan", "FreeFilesync".
You can get the first 3 via portableapps.com
Some can be scripted/run via command-line and run in the background.

Perhaps there is a hardware hick-up in the USB drive, Synology think there is an error, and set that drive to read-only mode.
This is one of the main reasons I don't attach the usb drive to the nas. Also, I noticed that speeds were quicker with a direct attachement to a system and then copying across the network than from the usb port on the nas to the nas.

"Virtualhere" (Synology app) is, from what I can see in the app-list, not an option on DS213J?
Makes it possible to use Synology USB attached drives, via a client program.
Check "Package center".
Haven't checked if the Synology app "USB Copy" can do a USB to USB copy.
"USB Copy" is described as a USB to Synology copy tool.
Also both USB drives would have to be attached to Synology, so that might not be an option.

SyncToy is the perfect choice but your problem will be with moving the large data at once , so per your request for Robocopy alternatives that will copy data what ever it sized with no loss , Duplicati , Carbonite , Gs Richcopy360 and SyncThing
If it is an option, try switching USB-drives around, and see if that works.

There are way to many alternatives, for me to mention, to add to other suggestions:
"DSynchronize","Synkron","Toucan", "FreeFilesync".
You can get the first 3 via portableapps.com
Some can be scripted/run via command-line and run in the background.
Me too, there is a similar issue but with transferring small files, can any of these suggestions transfer millions of files in one shoot to NAS from a windows PC?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.