Rocket.Chat - SLACK alternative (with MongoDB as backend)

Docker Rocket.Chat - SLACK alternative (with MongoDB as backend)

Currently reading
Docker Rocket.Chat - SLACK alternative (with MongoDB as backend)

two identical laptops
two identical Mac OS - 10.13.6

one can Run the R.Ch App as expected
second can't Run the R.Ch after installation (click to icon, run job lives 2 seconds only)

two identical laptops
two identical Mac OS - 10.13.6

one can Run the R.Ch App as expected
second can't Run the R.Ch after installation (click to icon, run job lives 2 seconds only)
Web site install or App store? Web site would be my suggestion

found this review at Appstore:
It’s important to pick a version of the client software that is compatible with your RC server and with your OS. The latest Electron 7 release 2.17.9 does not launch on High Sierra for example. When everything is compatible it works well.

My server: 3.2.2
App ver: 2.17.9 .... what is the case mentioned in the review above. But why is the App running on same OS in different laptop?

found this review at Appstore:
It’s important to pick a version of the client software that is compatible with your RC server and with your OS. The latest Electron 7 release 2.17.9 does not launch on High Sierra for example. When everything is compatible it works well.

My server: 3.2.2
App ver: 2.17.9 .... what is the case mentioned in the review above. But why is the App running on same OS in different laptop?
Question for DEV

Strange behavior of iOS APP:
- ver. 4.4.0.282
- ver. 4.7.1.301 (last available update)

Server Environment:
- 4 server sessions of Rocket Chat
- one of them is running at single URL with server ver. 3.3.0
- 3 of them are running at 3 diff. servers uses same domain, but diff subdomains (Reverse proxy behind) with server ver. 3.3.2 (all of them as copy of same image)
- all of them as containers in two Synology NASes

Symptoms:
App accidentally logout user by server - follow the notification from iOS App. Then you need to Log-in back.

IMG_1921.PNG

When:
- only when user switch diff. server session
- by evaluation, it doesn't matter what server session
- there isn't unique behavior if I will switch from this server - to this server (it's accidental)

Additional Issues description for described logout above ... then:
- iOS app can't show possible (used) server Workspaces defined in past (selection of them is missing - an idea for next feature)
- Then you need to type URL of first of them to Log-in (user needs to remember all the URLs, problem when you have more than 1)
- When you perform successful Log-in, you are Logged-in to all previous defined sessions (servers). Automatically.
- then the App keeps all the defined server sessions (URL, Usr/psw). And all the session are available without Login + 2FA.
- notification from all the "active" sessions works during the mentioned accidental Logout. But you can't open the session from the notification, because you need first log-in to the lost session.

Conclusion:
- described accidental Log out is just for the server session "switched from"
- all the rest server sessions are available in background - but unavailable
- user can't use the iOS App, till he will perform the log in to lost server session
- no same behavior in Win10/8.1 desktop App. There is 100% successful switching of the server sessions. Then there must be a bug in iOS App.

Ticket opened - GitHub

Hi,
I would like to ask you for some advice how setup LDAP correctly. My rocket.chat instance is installed in Docker on Synology NAS according your tutorial (thanks a lot). Everything is working fine, but I want to connect Rocket.Chat with my LDAP server running on the same nas.

There are some settings:

Host
: (it‘s my ldap server name), for example: ldapserver.com
Port: 636 (ssl)
Default DN: dc=ldapserver,dc=com
- connecting test is ok.
But I have to secure the connection:
User DN:

- Is this the same what I see in the setting on my LDAP server?
There is „Bind DN“: uid=adminldap,cn=users,dc=ldapserver,dc=com
- Is this what I need to put there, in this format?
Password: password for the user adminldap

With this setup there is connection error. But another instances connected to my Synoogy NAS LDAP server are working with this setup.

Kindly asking you for an advice.

For anyone who's struggled with rocketchat not being able to authenticate with MongoDB you may want to look at my solution. I've tried for hours to get this all working and finally stumbled on a working configuration. Upon reflection it looks like I'm not using authentication to connect to rocketchat but I really don't care because this is on my home network that is locked down pretty well. Anyway hope this helps someone who really wants to get this working, I banged my head for hours ;)

what exactly was the mentioned issue, because when you will keep the guide, you will get R.Ch during 10minutes
there was just one authentication problem known, solved in this discussion also

Thanks for pointing me towards the permission error, that solved my problems as well. Appreciate all of the hard work.

Cheers!

Rusty updated Rocket.Chat - SLACK alternative (with MongoDB as backend) with a new update entry:

Rocket.Chat omnichannel (LiveChat) feature

Just a short post on activating the Live Chat support feature via RC to give you more options when it comes to engaging your users and a way to give your website visitors a chance to communicate with you.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Rusty updated Rocket.Chat - SLACK alternative (with MongoDB as backend) with a new update entry:

Rocket.Chat push notification upcoming changes

Here is a short article on the upcoming changes regarding support for push notification for self-hosted versions of RC. Deadline has been extended from Jul 31st to Aug 14th, so be sure to have a look.

Read the rest of this update entry...

new ticket in GitHub submitted:

Description:
From last week (first time ever discovered in R.Ch/Jitsi), it has never happened before
I can start Jitsi Video call, no problem discovered
I can start Screen sharing, also no problem in my side
I can see in my window, that the screen is shared (attached picture below)

but
person or persons in another side of the call doesn't see my screen, just me (my camera view)

Test case:
call canceled
new call opened
same behavior
same behavior when entire desktop or selected Application screen sharing chosen (switched many times). This doesn't help to change mentioned behavior.
sometime in third or fifth call in row (canceled, new call opened) to same person/persons the Screen share feature works as expected.

No R.Ch server update, no R.Ch client update during the time, when was this strange behavior discovered.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Click to Call
  2. Click to Join meeting
  3. Click to Screen share
  4. Click to entire screen or Select APP screen
Expected behavior:
When you chose Screen share in your side, the other side will see your selected App/entire Desktop

Actual behavior:
as was described above

Server Setup Information:
  • Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 3.2.2
  • Operating System: Linux
  • Deployment Method: docker
  • Number of Running Instances: 3
  • DB Replicaset Oplog: Enabled
  • NodeJS Version: 12.16.1 - x64
  • MongoDB Version: 4.2.6
Client Setup Information
  • Desktop App or Browser Version: 2.17.7
  • Operating System: W10 Pro

follow R.Ch communication:
- you need contact Jitsi directly in their GitHub
- it is about meet.jit.si service in R.Ch

found in jitsi GitHub:
We recently removed support for desktop sharing using the extension: jitsi/lib-jitsi-meet@a7c4951
My note: this is primary add-on in your primary browser used for embedded web app (R.Ch/Jitsi call desktop app)

follow next R.Ch communication:
- screen sharing is mainly within browser only

Verdict:
- when you have setup of Video conference in R.Ch for Jitsi domain meet.jit.si
- then you will probably meet similar problems in your R.Ch desktop Apps

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back