Rocket.Chat - SLACK alternative (with MongoDB as backend)

Docker Rocket.Chat - SLACK alternative (with MongoDB as backend)

Currently reading
Docker Rocket.Chat - SLACK alternative (with MongoDB as backend)

My folders mapping

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 15.07.47.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 15.07.47.png
    24 KB · Views: 52
Figured it out! I deleted everything and started with a fresh install. But first I set the permissions of the folders to root. After recreating the MongoDB container the db folder was full with entries;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 15.48.12.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 15.48.12.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 36
Cann't seem to connect the ios Rocket.Chat app with my server. Keep getting an error 'could not connect to server'

I have setup a reverse proxy with a subdomain and this is working with the browsers (safari, Firefox, Waterfox) but not with the ios app

Am I missing something? Do I need to configure something before it can work with the mobile apps?

Do I need to configure something before it can work with the mobile apps?
For iOS there is one prerequisite indeed. Make sure to edit the RP setting for RC configuration and add a WebSock so that revers RC looks like this:

Screenshot 2019-11-13 at 19.02.19.png

Again this needs to be configured for RC only using the Edit > Custom Header > Create.

This should allow iOS app to connect to your server.

Hello I have a problem making rocket chat to connect to mongo, where I have to put this
mongo -u root -p yourRootPass --authenticationDatabase admin? In synology terminal tab ui I can't, is only a black screen but If I put the command nothing happen, via telnet I receive a black screen, thank you very much.

Hello I have a problem making rocket chat to connect to mongo, where I have to put this
mongo -u root -p yourRootPass --authenticationDatabase admin? In synology terminal tab ui I can't, is only a black screen but If I put the command nothing happen, via telnet I receive a black screen, thank you very much.
You can use the Docker terminal tab. Open it and use the "create" button. Enter bash to start a bash command line in mongodb container. After that enter the command.

Last edited:
You can use the Docker terminal tab. Open it and use the "create" button. Enter bash to start a bash command line in mongodb container. After that enter the command.
ok thanks I have to create a new one in docker terminal tab, that's was the problem!
But now I get error authenticated, I use mongo latest version 4.2 and I set the same password as the variable in mongo:

MongoDB shell version v4.2.1
connecting to: mongodb://127.0.0.1:27017/?authSource=admin&compressors=disabled&gssapiServiceName=mongodb
2019-11-23T03:18:02.198+0000 E QUERY [js] Error: Authentication failed. :
connect@src/mongo/shell/mongo.js:341:17
@(connect):2:6
2019-11-23T03:18:02.200+0000 F - [main] exception: connect failed
2019-11-23T03:18:02.200+0000 E - [main] exiting with code 1

@peikin @clear truth be told if everything is setup as it should be then there is no reason for this to fail. Truth be told I'm still on Mongo 4.0.10 and not on 4.2 but I see no reason for this elementary command not to work. Have you tried setting up the mongo container from scratch?

Are you both starting this container with mongod command line? Would it be an option to download an older version of mongod image to test out if this error shows up again?

@peikin @clear truth be told if everything is setup as it should be then there is no reason for this to fail. Truth be told I'm still on Mongo 4.0.10 and not on 4.2 but I see no reason for this elementary command not to work. Have you tried setting up the mongo container from scratch?

Are you both starting this container with mongod command line? Would it be an option to download an older version of mongod image to test out if this error shows up again?
I'm going to test it on minor version because in this apparently does not work, I have all ports and variable added like the original post, and yes I started it with mongod command, but this happen, I'll try it this afternoon with 4.0.4 like you!

Did you start mongoDB with this command:
Code:
mongod --smallfiles --oplogSize 128 --replSet rs0
OR with this one:
Code:
mongod --oplogSize 128 --replSet rs0

I just install it today for the second time (clean install) and everything is working fine.
I used the second command to start the mongoDB container.

Are you guys having trouble with the users pictures not showing on iOS? And I’m not able to upload pictures. Any suggestions where to look or how to fix this problem?

When using this version: “Rocket.Chat Experimental by Rocket.Chat Technologies Corp”.
I can see user pictures and upload pictures and see them also, but when using this version:” Rocket.Chat by Rocket.Chat Technologies Corp”. No users pictures and I cannot upload pictures, drawing isn’t working etc.

@BobW I used the second command, the --smallfiles isnt supported on the latest mongod. @BobW did you do any steps that wasnt covered in the tutorial? Latest mongod?

@BobW I used the second command, the --smallfiles isnt supported on the latest mongod. @BobW did you do any steps that wasnt covered in the tutorial? Latest mongod?
No, I just followed the steps as covered in the tutorial and it was just working. The only thing I remember from the first time I installed it was that my folder permissions wasn’t set correct I had to set them to root, but then the second time everything went smooth.

Maybe you could post your steps you have taken to install the container and then we could have a look at them..?

Are you guys having trouble with the users pictures not showing on iOS? And I’m not able to upload pictures. Any suggestions where to look or how to fix this problem?
I fixed it! This is how:
If you are using your own domain with Synology reverse proxy you do need to change the
Code:
http://localhost:3000
To
https://your.owndomain.com
Otherwise the IOS app will have problems showing the users avatars and uploading pictures.
More info can be found here:

@Rusty Maybe you can add a note to the tutorial...?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back