RS-2421+ and RS-1221+ with Seagate HDDs ?

Currently reading
RS-2421+ and RS-1221+ with Seagate HDDs ?

ram-studio.hr
NAS
DS1817+, RS1221+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

I've posted this on Synology forums (10 days ago) but seems nobody is interested or knows answer, so I'll ask here also if someone maybe knows.

Thanks in advance.

My Question:

I'm looking to buy new RackStation NAS and replace my current DS 1817+ and i'd want to go with more than 8 bays so i looked at RS2421+ which seems OK for my needs (except Synology being cheep stake and not putting 10Gbit on such expensive device) but main thing that worries me is that HDD compatibility list Synology started to include to enforce usage of only their branded HDDs?

All these years they were partnering with Seagate and convincing us how it's good to hove Ironwolf/IronWolf Pro drives and now suddenly those drives aren't good any more ? How come Synology ? What has changed that much in HDDs that they aren't good for your RS series any more ?

But weirdest thing is that RS 1221+ which has EXACTLY same hardware as RS 2421+ has all the IronWolf Pro drives (4,6,8,10,12,14,16TB) compatible while RS2412+ which is same internal (CPU and rest) but with 4 more bays shows them as NOT compatible ?

So please do anyone knows what is that different that RS2412+ can't work with IronWolf Pro drives now ?? Or it's just matter of not updated compatibility list for RS2421+ yet ?

Thanks

Here are the links:
RS 1221+
Compatibility List | Synology Inc.

RS 2421+

there isn’t doubt about reliability of Seagate,WDC, Toshiba drives for usage in Syno NASes (and all other worldwide vendors like Qnap, Buffalo, Asustor, …).

There is Synology decision to provide support just for their own (Toshiba model based) drives and Rack station models. It’s stupid, but you can take it or leave it.

Yes i know they are fine to use (i have plenty of IronWolf and ironWolfPro drives). My question/wonder is why they are supported in RS1221+ and not in RS2421+ which are essentially SAME hardware with only difference of adding 4 more bays (8 vs 12 bays).

Thanks

clear answer you can find from someone from Syno, responsible for this strategic decision. No one here. No one from Syno support will answer you.

But a lot of patterns you can find also in this forum:

1. To cover their own proprietary Storage stack architecture:
- Synology proprietary Storage stack setup between BTRFS FS and Linux Device-mapper (incl. RAID)
- Synology uses abandoned Facebook project for SSD cache (2018 cancelled) ... also based on the Device-mapper setup only.

2. Profit-driven:
- monetization of their installed base (new revenue stream from their own HDDs/SSDs)

3. Company evaluation growth (again profit-driven):
- to be recognised as an enterprise vendor in the NAS area
- they can provide benchmarks for a "blind" evaluation - how faster their NAS are from others if their own disks are used.

I have not yet found a rational reason. But I understand that it is their decision and as a user, I can do only two things:
- accept it
- or find another solution for my data operation.

Fully appreciate your answer, maybe i should rephrase my question then, is there anyone here using Rs2421+ with IronWolfPro drives i.e. does it give all those errors/warning messages of incompatible drives ?

thanks

The answer is still same: no one.

Because it's a hardcoded approved disk list for every NAS model in DSM.

Except for those who have tried to manually modify the DSM configuration by modifying:
*_host.db and *_host.db.new
in
/var/lib/disk-compatibility

more here:

However, this is a very risky step that will not provide a guarantee in the future!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.