ram-studio.hr
NAS
DS1817+, RS1221+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

I wonder does anyone here have RS1221+ using 18TB ,20TB, 22TB drives (Seagate IronWolfPRO or Seagate Exos)???

On Synology compatibility list there is only one 18TB drive (overpriced Toshiba under Synology brand HAT5300) and rest for WD/Seagate/Toshiba is 16TB or 14TB only ?
Aynoen using 18TB or 20TB Toshiba or Seagate Exos/IronWolf PRO ?

Thanks.

Can you elaborate a bit more, please? Which models/capacity you use and is there any warning messages on the volume (which DSM version too?)

Thanks

I've got 14/18/20 TB versions doing stuff. The 18TB drives have 496 days running on them, no issues and no worries. I really like these drives.

Latest DSM 7.2, example drive status below:

2023-07-08 at 17.50.53.png

☕

Good, thanks for screengrabs, so it's just a matter of Synology not updating compatibility list on their WEB and probably Seagate 18TB, 20TB Ironwolf PROs should work too....

There is no drive size limitation. Almost any NAS/Enterprise-rated SATA3 drive should be fine.

Unless the drive on the Incompatible Models list, the absence of a drive of the Compatible list does not infer it is incompatible. It only means the drive has not been tested by Synology.

Be aware that the Compatible list requires matching hardware and firmware to be considered "compatible".

Finally, as called out on the Compatibility page, Synology reserves the right to deny technical support where hardware does not conform to the Compatible list.

So... 3 classifications...

• Tested - Compatible
  • Tested - Incompatible (do not use)
  • Untested (may, or may not work... technical support may be declined)

It only means the drive has not been tested by Synology.

This bit is patently untrue and I doubt even Synology can say it with a straight face. The idea that they have never tested the drives that they happen to sell under their expensive stickers deserves nothing but our unbridled contempt. It is a straight-up lie.

☕

Hi,

I wonder does anyone here have RS1221+ using 18TB ,20TB, 22TB drives (Seagate IronWolfPRO or Seagate Exos)???

On Synology compatibility list there is only one 18TB drive (overpriced Toshiba under Synology brand HAT5300) and rest for WD/Seagate/Toshiba is 16TB or 14TB only ?
Aynoen using 18TB or 20TB Toshiba or Seagate Exos/IronWolf PRO ?

Thanks.
I got my 1221 recently so not a ton of use yet but I've thrown in two 16 TB seagate exos and never got any negative feedback, or a warning and they are working fine. Additionally I wanted to test out some of the other bays and threw in some older drives I had laying around (I believe one of them was shucked) and havent had any issues. Read some of the amazon comments, you'll read multiple people using 18TB+ drives not on the compatibility list seemingly without issue (I think there's only one or two 3rd party 16TB+ drives on the compatibility list).

My understanding is as long as you use a sata drive with the 1221 you should be fine. Read some of the amazon comments, you'll read multiple people using 18TB and 20TB drives not on the compatibility list seemingly without issue.

I actually spoke with support (the first 1221+ I bought from Amazon had a broken bay (I think it was probably used) and he RMA'd it right then and there (3 days later new one my door). He never said anything about my drives would void the warranty or support but in hindsight I wish I would've asked directly.

When I first read about the Synology only drive rules it was aimed at 'enterprise' machines and naturally assumed the Plus models were exempt as they're clearly aimed at the consumer or small business market. But now I'm reading apparently the DS2422+ (12 bay desktop) is being enforced with the Synology only drives rule so it's confusing where and when it's being applied. But you should be good with the 1221.

1221 screenshot.jpg

I'm reading apparently the DS2422+ (12 bay desktop) is being enforced with the Synology only drives
Reading from where... Synology says this about the 2422+

6HXjez0.png

Which is the same for all DS. Synology has offered this clarification in the past...
We have always recommended only using the drives tested and verified by our engineers to ensure long-term system reliability many many years ago. While non-verified drives can still be used on all devices, the updated policy is being introduced on new products primarily purchased by our business and enterprise clients in an effort to highlight the potential issues with using them. The policy still allows for the use of non-verified drives but with certain restrictions, such as status indicators and alerts indicating the system is not in an officially supported configuration and certain drive metrics not being supported. At the same time we understand that there is room for improvements to the user experience while still ensuring our customers are aware of the issue. In an upcoming DSM update, we are adjusting the alert level shown and also adding drive S.M.A.R.T. monitoring for unverified drives.

I got my 1221 recently so not a ton of use yet but I've thrown in two 16 TB seagate exos and never got any negative feedback, or a warning and they are working fine.
The less-intrusive status of the RS1221+ came about when my battle with Synology was at the legal 'named individual' bit of the court process.... just a coincidence of course and clearly not due to the 'misunderstanding' previously applied to the RS1221+ that made the pending legal action moot...

☕

Last edited:
Reading from where... Synology says this about the 2422+

6HXjez0.png

Which is the same for all DS. Synology has offered this clarification in the past...
Purely from the comments from customers that purchased the device on Amazon. It’s pretty consistent with what’s listed here, you can use 3rd party drives but features are restricted and you’re being permanently reminded and they won’t support you. Sounds like synology may of eased up in some of the restrictions based on your post but those restrictions/warnings weren’t applied to the ds1821.

Edit- Apparently the synology drive enforcement/3rd party drive restrictions are applicable to XS models or
12 bays.

If I understand it, Synology will now make any machines that are 8bay and larger incompatible with any drives other than its own. Spitefully I would add. Almost as spitefully as not allowing SHR on its XS series.

Which means, in the future you will want to buy 6bay or smaller units not to deal with Synology outdated and over-prices label-ware drives. Or, get these old 2021 models while you can. It only gets worse from here, sadly.

I am actively looking for a way to switch off from Synology, but unfortunately, no one offers anything like SHR. I was hoping someone would buy the old Drobo software and use it to upgrade their systems. For now, I'll hold on to my 2021 models for dear life.

Sad.

if that's true, not only would that be unfortunate; I would think from a business standpoint, it would be suicide.

Synology dominates the consumer market, and for good reason- they make good gear and excellent OS. From a purely hardware specs point of view, they do this in spite of the fact that Qnap has some comparable machines with better specs for less money (like most of their gear now by default comes with 2.5G and 10G nics). Again I think it's because Synology make a quality product.

If they were to enforce the synology only drive rule further down the plus model line into the 8 bay models, they would certainly pass the point of diminishing returns (at least IMO) and no longer be considered an option. I wont buy a NAS with less than 8 bays and obviously wouldn't spend $500 for a $250 hard drive. I dont think many home or SMB customers would.

I thought what they did with the XS models was weak/money grab but I told myself well, at least it's just for high end enterprise gear. But the DS2422 is not only a plus model but a desktop machine. It does make you wonder if maybe the other shoe hasn't dropped.

My recent purchase of the RS1221 wasn't an immediate need. I was going to need to add more storage but probably had another year before it became critical. Part of my motivation was my wondering if this might be my last chance.

As noted in the thread I started in the compatibility forum, I recently bought an RS2423rp+ (12/24 bay NAS) and am using 18 TB Seagate drives that are not on Synology's compatibility list. While it gave me warnings about the drives, it did not reject them and I have been running a 110 TB volume on it for a couple of months without issue.

It sounds like you havent had any features locked out of so maybe they are in fact walking back on some of the tough restrictions (someone mentioned they were easing up somewhat on devices requiring synology only drives).

But that was happening with XS and 12 bay devices. If they are no longer limiting the device use based on the drives, that would certainly be good news.

As noted in the thread I started in the compatibility forum, I recently bought an RS2423rp+ (12/24 bay NAS) and am using 18 TB Seagate drives that are not on Synology's compatibility list. While it gave me warnings about the drives, it did not reject them and I have been running a 110 TB volume on it for a couple of months without issue.

Thank you so much for that. Does it report bad blocks, hours of use, and temperatures on those non-supported drives? If so, that is super fabulous news!

Thank you so much for that. Does it report bad blocks, hours of use, and temperatures on those non-supported drives? If so, that is super fabulous news!

Yes. There aren't any limitations I've found or stats it doesn't report. I should also note that there are a couple of hacks to remove all the warnings for non supported hardware and I have used one of those so my NAS looks totally normal, without any warnings about h/w, even with third party (still name brand) hardware instead of Synology's.

Yes. There aren't any limitations I've found or stats it doesn't report. I should also note that there are a couple of hacks to remove all the warnings for non supported hardware and I have used one of those so my NAS looks totally normal, without any warnings about h/w, even with third party (still name brand) hardware instead of Synology's.

Do you recall, could you get all those stats/warnings etc before you applied the hack. Obviously you'd still see the annoying nagware, but could otherwise ignore that and all functionality was present?

Do you recall, could you get all those stats/warnings etc before you applied the hack. Obviously you'd still see the annoying nagware, but could otherwise ignore that and all functionality was present?

I can't say 100%. My recollection was that there weren't any features I was missing prior to implementing the hack. I mainly did it so I wouldn't constantly get warnings about non-synology h/w. I'd say I'm about 75% sure I had that data prior to implementing the hack.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.