RS1221+ and larger drives ?

Currently reading
RS1221+ and larger drives ?

Do you recall, could you get all those stats/warnings etc before you applied the hack. Obviously you'd still see the annoying nagware, but could otherwise ignore that and all functionality was present?
I was reading about the hack (the article I read was specifically about the drives but maybe that's changed). In either case, good it works for him. I like synology bc it works out of the box and is easy. Otherwise I may as well build another unraid box (instead of screwing with my synology I buy bc it works out of the box). I understand you have to do this every time there's an update. Id be curious to hear what others say on new XS machines. Maybe the tweak isn't a big deal.

I was reading about the hack (the article I read was specifically about the drives but maybe that's changed). In either case, good it works for him. I like synology bc it works out of the box and is easy. Otherwise I may as well build another unraid box (instead of screwing with my synology I buy bc it works out of the box). I understand you have to do this every time there's an update. Id be curious to hear what others say on new XS machines. Maybe the tweak isn't a big deal.

Just to be clear, the hack I implemented is the following:

Pretty quick and easy. Haven't upgraded DSM since so don't know if I will have to do it again after updating, and I thought I saw something where it may not work in DSM 7.2 (currently on 7.1). So we'll see how well it works long term but for the moment it's working fine.

Interesting the hack is listed specifically for the synology hard drive restrictions. That said, since it's new to you (and a new machine in general). it will be interesting to see what peoples experiences are moving forward. It's a realy cool machine. I'd much rather of gotten a 12 bay but the price tag and uncertainitities around drives held be back (mostly price tag).

Off-topic question- see you have the 1813+ as do I. Funny I had ten years straight and never had a single issues, never even had to replace a drive. Obviously not the fastest machine but you can do som light tasks on it and it was great as a file server. One of the benefit of the old, ARM (slow CPU's) is they kept your data cool. I've never replaced a drive in 10 years.

Was gone last week and there was a power outage at my home. Came home, bay 7 appears all but dead. it's on a surge protector so probably a coincidence but for something that never gave me as much as a hiccup, it was a bummer to lose a bay completely. I'm basically running without parity now.

That said, I have no room for complaints after 10 years of nothing but uptime. was just curious, yours still going strong?

Pretty quick and easy. Haven't upgraded DSM since so don't know if I will have to do it again after updating, and I thought I saw something where it may not work in DSM 7.2 (currently on 7.1). So we'll see how well it works long term but for the moment it's working fine.

Next imo you do and update, and need to re-apply the hack, before you do so can you check on the drive status markers (temp, uptime hours, bad block count if you have any) and let us know if those are still reported correctly? I want to know if we lose any actual features or if the nag screen is just that, a nag screen.

If it’s just a nag screen, then I have a completely different view of synology, and will stick with synology. It’s fine. If it removes actual reporting features, then that is completely spiteful and cynical, and I will be looking to dump synology.

I wish nas compares or someone would have tested this with the 2023 8/12 bay units so we could know this definitively.

Thanks so much, again, for sharing your experience.

Interesting the hack is listed specifically for the synology hard drive restrictions. That said, since it's new to you (and a new machine in general). it will be interesting to see what peoples experiences are moving forward. It's a realy cool machine. I'd much rather of gotten a 12 bay but the price tag and uncertainitities around drives held be back (mostly price tag).

Off-topic question- see you have the 1813+ as do I. Funny I had ten years straight and never had a single issues, never even had to replace a drive. Obviously not the fastest machine but you can do som light tasks on it and it was great as a file server. One of the benefit of the old, ARM (slow CPU's) is they kept your data cool. I've never replaced a drive in 10 years.

Was gone last week and there was a power outage at my home. Came home, bay 7 appears all but dead. it's on a surge protector so probably a coincidence but for something that never gave me as much as a hiccup, it was a bummer to lose a bay completely. I'm basically running without parity now.

That said, I have no room for complaints after 10 years of nothing but uptime. was just curious, yours still going strong?

The 1813+ still works as well as the day I got it. Got it in November of 2013 so it's almost 10 years old and has run 24/7 since the day It arrived. Pretty impressive. The 1 gig networking became a bit of a limitation and much of the rest of my infrastructure is 10 gig now, plus everything else is racked. So I've been watching the new Synology models for a couple years waiting for the one with the right set of features and pricepoint to upgrade. The RS2423 nailed what I was looking for, and I decided to splurge a little for the dual power supplies. Hopefully this one lasts as long or longer than the 1813+ did.

Actually, is there any chance you could undo the "hack" and reboot your synology and check it to see if the drive reporting is unaffected?

Totally understand if you cannot because you have services running that you do not want to disrupt. Figure it doesnt hurt to ask. Thanks again.

Why would that not be possible. It's a simple edit.

Copy back the original file and reboot to restore to stock.

Well me may have mission critical apps services running that he does not want interrupted. I do not want to impose and mess up someones infrastructure that they rely on.

But in case it is easy and not a big imposition, it would be a great thing if he could confirm it.

No pressure either way. Like I said, I asked it in the spirit of "doesnt hurt to ask".

The 1813+ still works as well as the day I got it. Got it in November of 2013 so it's almost 10 years old and has run 24/7 since the day It arrived. Pretty impressive. The 1 gig networking became a bit of a limitation and much of the rest of my infrastructure is 10 gig now, plus everything else is racked. So I've been watching the new Synology models for a couple years waiting for the one with the right set of features and pricepoint to upgrade. The RS2423 nailed what I was looking for, and I decided to splurge a little for the dual power supplies. Hopefully this one lasts as long or longer than the 1813+ did.
same exact situation. Everything server based/in the rack is now 10G (with the exception of the 1813).

Funny but worth noting in case it helps someone. I bought a cheap refurb Mac mini dedicated to running some of my media applications and a web sever. It came with a 1G port. No kidding, I purchased an atto 2102 off eBay for $30 (dual 10G ports for thunderbolt 2). Used the TS2-TS3 adapter and it works brilliantly.

I bought the 1221+ with the 10G Nic. It's very difficult to go back once you see those types of transfer speeds. It's time synology starts utilizing at least the 2.5 gig as the standard nic.

Last edited:
, it would be a great thing if he could confirm it.
You missed my point. There's no confirmation required. This is like changing the background on your desktop back to the default graphic. If you want to return to stock, just re-edit the thread. There is noting to prove. There is no irreversible system change when "yes" is changed to "no" and back to "yes". Test it yourself if you doubt.

I'm done here as we've veered well off-topic, hijacking the OP's thread.

What read and write speeds are you achieving with 8 drives via SFP28?

☕
Not tested speeds yet, NAS is still doing standard pool optimization process (should take about 2 days with me using the NAS/copying files from old NAS and multiple sources)

But i don't think you can do much more than 600-700 MB anyway since it's using SHR-2 so it's 6 drives (Toshiba Enterprise MG09) for storage and 2 for parity and SHR-2 is a bit slower than regular RAID 6.

I have DS1817+ on 10Gbit SFP+ also in SHR-2 and it's not saturating fully 10Gbit either, closer to 450-550 MB according to various disk tests with larger files (IronWolf PRO disks)

I bought 25Gbit version just because my switch has 25Gbit ports (4 of them) and because it was not that much more expensive than 10Gbit SFP+ card, as they say for "future proofing" which usually ends up being a waste of money 'because my machines/NAS devices become old/replaced before that needed future arrives but hey I'm junkie/nerd for Hardware/Tech so why not :) :).

Interesting. I have non SFP 10GBE (Cat 6a Ethernet) and my pc to NAS transfers (spindle drives) are slower than yours. Running (5) WD 18 TB Ultrastars, SHR-1. Is SFP faster?

Note the bottleneck could be the drive in my PC, don't remember the make/model to check RPM.

I use Black Magic Disk speed to test speeds, you can choose 1, 2, 3,5 GB files to test (it's just temp file it creates and then test read/write speed)

With some tests i get 380MB and with other 520, it's not same every time but roughly around 400-450 on DS1817+
I don't think DAC cable is any faster than regular CAT6, it's just spindle drives, overhead and SHR-2 system.

From what i've read regular RAID is a bit faster than SHR but i had much more benefit from SHR than what would i get if i had RAID and for me even 350 MB is ok and way better than 115 MB over 1Gbit limits :).

Not tested speeds yet, NAS is still doing standard pool optimization process (should take about 2 days with me using the NAS/copying files from old NAS and multiple sources)

But i don't think you can do much more than 600-700 MB anyway since it's using SHR-2 so it's 6 drives (Toshiba Enterprise MG09) for storage and 2 for parity and SHR-2 is a bit slower than regular RAID 6.
10 GbE OpenSpeedTest-Full Size.png

Thanks for that. I run 6 x SSDs (plus 2 x Tosh MG09 HDDs) in my RS1221+ and it saturates the 10 GbE with ease. Adding additional workloads via the other ports I seem to top-out at 1.4 GB/s read/write, probably limited by the CPU. I should try it with 2 x 10 GbE links via SMB3-MC; I just never seem to remember to add another cable from the 1221+ to my 10 GbE switch to find the definitive limit.

☕

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.