NAS
RS2414 +
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello I am using Synology RS2414 +.
WD Red WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 6TB 5400 RPM 12 disks mounted on it and I am using raid 10 build. I want to buy disk as a backup for failure.

My question: If I install a disk with features such as 8TB 7200 RPM or 6TB 7200 RPM or 8TB 5400 RPM in the disk structure, what specification will I have incompatibility with?

If I use different brands of drives together (Seagate), will there be incompatibility between the drives?
What rules should I follow to comply?
Can you share a guide to learn?
Thanks

Some disks are no longer sold on the Synology compatibility list, I cannot find new model discs Compatibility List | Synology Inc.

different brands of drives together (Seagate), will there be incompatibility between the drives?
There will be no problems especially if you will run it as a separate volume. Guessing you want to have drives ready in case one of your current one fails?

Would advise it to mix different speeds if you can avoid it but in general it will work even if you do.

Guessing you want to have drives ready in case one of your current one fails?
Yes, I want to keep it in reserve.
Would advise not to mix different speeds if you can avoid it but in general it will work even if you do.
If we want to make a choice, what priority should we act on? For example If I get 8 TB 5400 RMP, will it work as 6 TB? If I get 6 TB 7200 RPM, will it run as 5400 RMP?
I searched for a similar disc but I haven't found it yet

I would like to improve myself on this subject. Do you have any suggestions for a document? Thank you for your help.

For example If I get 8 TB 5400 RMP, will it work as 6 TB? If I get 6 TB 7200 RPM, will it run as 5400 RMP?
Focus on rpm. Size will not matter in this case. If you have a larger drive you will have “waste” space in raid10, but on the other hand drives can’t slow down or speed up. Meaning if you get 7200 it will run as 7200.

So again focus on the speed of your array.

@Rusty, @Telos. Thank you very much for teaching.
I am thinking of buying a Seagate Ironwolf 6 Tb 5400RPM 256MB ST6000VN001 spare disk for Western Digital Red WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 6TB 5400 rmp 64 MB disk.
There is a cache difference. 64 MB and 256 MB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.