RS2423+ (or any 8bay or greater 2023 plus model) and 3rd party drives?

Currently reading
RS2423+ (or any 8bay or greater 2023 plus model) and 3rd party drives?

Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with 8 bay or larger 2023 Synology models and adding 3rd party drives? Specifically, do they fully support 3rd party drives and report on the drive's status (despite the nag screen of not supporting 3rd party drives)?

My understanding is from 2023 on, for 8bay and larger models, Synology is going to only support its own drives (glorified Toshiba drives with snylogy slapped on labels and firmware).

But no one has done a definitive test to tell us what that means. So far this is what we suspect it means:

(1) Part of what it means is if you have some trouble, and do not use their lame and always out of date and too expensive drives, they can choose to deny you support. Lame, but whatever, most can probably deal with this.

(2) You get an annoying nag screen that confuses you that your 3rd party drives are not supported (yet they will work just fine after you dismiss this nag screen).

(3) There is a disparity in reports that what it may also mean is that 3rd party drives might not report their temperatures, bad blocks, and other SMART/health information. If this is true, it's a non starter and I'm going to dump synology as soon as I can. But, from some reports, this is not true. One report here notes a few things. First, you can flip a setting on your Synology box and it will do away with the 'not supported' nag screen (at least for now). And, it seems like despite the nag screen, all the SMART/health info is still likely reported.

As such, can anyone definitively comment if their 2023 8bay or greater box still reports all the drive temperatures, bad block, SMART/health status information on their drive, without using the above hack?

If so, that's great and I will move and buy the RS2423+ I've been looking at. My 1821+ just started having random reboots (and I remember I this behavior when my 1815+'s power supply went dead--so I want to get ahead of things with this unit having a redundant power supply). Also, I was super psyched to learn the RS2423+ also supports SHR, which is great.

Thanks so much for anyone that can definitely confirm (3) above.

My thread:

-- post merged: --

I implemented the following hack and it removes any mention of not running Synology drives:

My thread:

-- post merged: --

I implemented the following hack and it removes any mention of not running Synology drives:

Thanks @strikes2k . I looked through the thread (and have a feeling I'll be participating in it soon). I see youre using seagate iron wolf pro drives.

Can you confirm that all the temperature, bad blocks, and other SMART/health information is still reported despite using 3rd party drives without the hack? Thanks! And congrats!

Thanks @strikes2k . I looked through the thread (and have a feeling I'll be participating in it soon). I see youre using seagate iron wolf pro drives.

Can you confirm that all the temperature, bad blocks, and other SMART/health information is still reported despite using 3rd party drives without the hack? Thanks! And congrats!

I can't confirm that. If I have time and think about it I may undo that hack out of curiosity but not sure when that might be. This NAS supports a 24/7 vSphere lab/prod home environment so it's not quite so simple to shut down.

I can't confirm that. If I have time and think about it I may undo that hack out of curiosity but not sure when that might be. This NAS supports a 24/7 vSphere lab/prod home environment so it's not quite so simple to shut down.

Totally understand! I wouldnt want you to disrupt your work. If you happen to need to take it down for some updates or something and you can try it, much appreciated. I super appreciate all your great info youve given us so far!

Hopefully someone else can confirm in the mean time. Thanks again!

Hopefully someone else can confirm in the mean time. Thanks again!
I have RS2423+ coming in any day now, and I will be using it with Syno drives but I will also have a small test volume with 3rd party disks. Will report back how it behaves in terms of SMART parameters.

I really wanted 23+ or 22+xs model with 12 bays but due to that hardware lock Synology did I ended up buying another 8 bay model i.e. "last one" which doesn't have that silly hdd lock. So i bought RS 1221+.

Synology HAT 5300 16TB drives would cost me 2x more than Toshiba MG09 18TB drives, so I'd have less usable space "same" drive under the hood but for 2x more money. It's insane what Synology is doing.
I really hope it'll hurt their business in the long term, so they come to their senses ASAP.

I really wanted 23+ or 22+xs model with 12 bays but due to that hardware lock Synology did I ended up buying another 8 bay model i.e. "last one" which doesn't have that silly hdd lock. So i bought RS 1221+.

Synology HAT 5300 16TB drives would cost me 2x more than Toshiba MG09 18TB drives, so I'd have less usable space "same" drive under the hood but for 2x more money. It's insane what Synology is doing.
I really hope it'll hurt their business in the long term, so they come to their senses ASAP.
Rebranded Syno drives are ridiculously expensive.

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have conclusive experience now with using 3rd-Party drives on the RS2423+?
I'm planning to get two RS2423+ for HA-Setup with WD Red Pro Drives.
I don't mind using the script to get rid of the warning.

Or is there a change of mind about their drives and should I go with the synology drives?

Or is there a change of mind about their drives and should I go with the synology drives?
While I have had this model for few months now in production I have still not tested it with 3rd party drives. As much as I have promised so a few posts earlier, just didn’t have time to play with it and test it.

On the topic of Syno drives the new HAT3310 series (supported on this model) has worked just fine and it will not cost much more then a regular non-syno drive. From personal experience so far, I can’t complain at all.

While I have had this model for few months now in production I have still not tested it with 3rd party drives. As much as I have promised so a few posts earlier, just didn’t have time to play with it and test it.

On the topic of Syno drives the new HAT3310 series (supported on this model) has worked just fine and it will not cost much more then a regular non-syno drive. From personal experience so far, I can’t complain at all.
What's the downside to the 3310s as opposed to the 5300s? Less MTBF?

What's the downside to the 3310s as opposed to the 5300s? Less MTBF?
Well the 8/12TB 3310 are now no longer IronWolf drives but Toshiba as well, as are 5300. However the mtbf is lower, less cache and 2y less warranty. This is just off the top of my head but the spec PDF on the site will be a more accurate source of exact difference.

I think another difference between 33X0 and 5300 is that HAT3300 4TB and 6TB (not yet havign 3310 of 4/6 TB, only 8 and 12) are 5400 rpm while 3310 8TB and 12 TB are 7200 rpm as all HAT 5300 verisons are 7200rpm.

I think another difference between 33X0 and 5300 is that HAT3300 4TB and 6TB (not yet havign 3310 of 4/6 TB, only 8 and 12) are 5400 rpm while 3310 8TB and 12 TB are 7200 rpm as all HAT 5300 verisons are 7200rpm.
Correct, that's why I only mentioned 8/12TB (and the upcoming 16TB will be in the same boat). For the time, 4/6 will remain as 3300 (5400 rpm)

Well, I would say there’s quite the difference between HAT 3310 by Synology and the WD Red Pro Series.

HAT3310 (was difficult to find all the specs, so no guarantee)
  • About 210€ (8TB)
  • 3 year warranty
  • As far as I know not seen as enterprise drive
  • Workload Rating 180TB
  • 1,2M hours MTBF
WD Red Pro:
  • About 220€ (8TB in Germany)
  • 550TB/year workload
  • 5 year warranty
  • 2M hours MTBF
  • Marketed as enterprise drive
I would probably rather compare the Red Pro to the 5300-series, but they are 50% more expensive

HAT5300:
  • About 320€ (8TB)
  • 5 year warranty
  • Labeled as enterprise drive
  • 2,5M hours MTBF
  • 550TB /year workload rating
Speeds are specified a bit higher on both Synology drives (3310: 260MB/s and 5310: 248MB/s) than WD (235MB/s), but I’ve also seen different values in different places, I didn't compare benchmarks.

In the end, the benefits of the enterprise class drive might also not be necessary for all use cases, but just the value for money on paper is quite the difference for me. Been using WD drives in our company for years now (both Red plus and Red Pro).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.