Currently reading
RS2423RP+ compatible devices

NAS
DS1813+, RS2423rp+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
  3. other
So I got an RS2423RP+ to replace/supplement my DS1813+ that is still running strong after almost 10 years. This NAS hit all my check boxes for what I wanted in an upgrade/replacement. Here is what I'm running in the new NAS:

A couple of Western Digital 2TB WD Red SN700 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD, used in Synology 10Gb Ethernet and M.2 Adapter card E10M20-T1 card for caching.

A couple of Kingston Server Premier 16 GB 3200MHz DDR4 ECC CL22 DIMM 1Rx8 Server Memory (KSM32ES8/16HC) to max out the memory.

8 Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB Enterprise NAS Internal HDD Hard Drives in a RAID-5 array for main storage.

Haven't done much with the NAS yet but all H/W working fine in it. Was getting the warning about using non-verified h/w but did the hack to remove those warnings and it's very happy now.

Did you used multiple volumes or ?
I don't see it in specs any more but i think MAX volume size is still only 108TB for those Ryzen NAS models ?
With DSM 7.2 for both 2423 models, the max size has been pushed to 200TB (7.2 release notes). I have one coming in as well to replace some of my current gear as well.

Ohhhh that's a very nice change then. So it was a software limitation after all :).

That then goes well with my plan of buying 12-bay device, I started to look at DS3621xs+ just because DS2423+ has(had?) that 108TB silly limitation..

So now then i can go DS2423+ DSM 7.2, with 32GB should have it all i need now (12 bay, 200TB max, 32GB, SHR ability) ???

Ohhhh that's a very nice change then. So it was a software limitation after all :).

That then goes well with my plan of buying 12-bay device, I started to look at DS3621xs+ just because DS2423+ has(had?) that 108TB silly limitation..

So now then i can go DS2423+ DSM 7.2, with 32GB should have it all i need now (12 bay, 200TB max, 32GB, SHR ability) ???
Yep, and 10G built-in on top if all

Yes, as it seem only RS2423+ got 200 TB increase..
Weird considering many of those Ryzen CPUs and 32GB capable devices are in 2022 models also...
Same with nvme useable pools right? Its just a business model. "how can we sell xxxx?" "That's right, we will give it something that others don't have".

Maybe they will expand it to other models in the future now that dsm 7.2 is out officially.

Hi all. I see it's been discussed already but just to confirm. according to the specs for the NAS you have to have 32 GB RAM for larger than a 108 TB volume. I didn't test creating the volume with the default 8 GB ram but with 32 gig of RAM I had no issues creating a single volume using the full space.

Ayechewawa! Just read the specs. The 2423rp+ is 54db. For comparison the 1821+is just around 20db. That’s insanity!
DS vs RS, that's a fact. You will hear that unit no question about it. If you had planned on keeping it inside a living area, I would reconsider. The drives inside it will also drive you nuts in combination with its fans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.