rs819 vibration

Currently reading
rs819 vibration

Until now I had the rs819 behind the switch and then the vibration was apparently stopped because the switch was pressuring somehow the case. But folllowing the conversation on the Ubiquiti forum I moved the nas ad it's now not covered. Since then some vibrations appeared (the case is somehow vibrating) which create a small annoying noise: Files sent via Tresorit Send

Do you also experiment such noise? What would be the best way to suppress it?

back to the analyze of reason(s). You need use pencil and paper to write scenario evaluation

1. Vibration and noise relation inspection.
A. Touch the metal plate (all sides) of the RS819 by fingers and try to find a vibration location.
B. Same for the all disk bay (front)
If no success, continue step by step:
- disconnect all external cables (Ethernet, USB, eSATA if any) except power cable. Test again entire point 1. procedure
- if no success, pull out disk no. 4 (from right side). When no change, even with again entire point 1. procedure. Continue with disk 3, disk 2, disk 1
- there is also possible vibration between pair of the disks. You need to check it.
When you find a disk bay as vibration reason and the disk is from S.M.A.R.T metrics OK - you need find a way (in this forum ) how to kill it :cool:
If there is a disk problem, change the disk.

When there is still not a success and your NAS is not under warranty (but its early 2019 model):
- switch off the NAS
- disconnect all cables (power, Ethernet) from the NAS
- open cover of the NAS.
- you can find 3 small 40x40mm fans on the rear side, check it, also clean a dust from them
- same for PSU

If there is a warranty - you need contact a seller. Don't open the NAS!

so i found the probable cause, the disk rack miss 2 lugs (at the bottom left and right) among 4.

IMG_2314.jpeg

also the rack seeems to bend at the middle not sure it's normal:

IMG_2310.jpeg

Is this something expected? Would it be better with the RS818+?

so I have seen your link to your rack in our previous communication in Ubiquiti forum.
Seems to be we have ultimate reason - your rack is overloaded.

56298CFD-FAA9-42D9-B35B-925011BB5A2B.jpeg

The rack web description:
12U lightweight desktop rack
The RK12OD 12U 19in Desktop Open Frame 2 Post Rack provides the perfect mounting option for smaller Audio/Video and IT equipment where space is limited and a full sized cabinet is not required.

Summary:
from EIA-310 rackmount standard it meets just vertical hole spacing
but you have mounted there the RS819 = 4.3kg + 4x0.2 per HDDs =5.1kg what is mounted just on two post. This is solved in normal rack by full frame lock:

BE0FD4F6-AEA3-4B9B-BA0E-2722C536C184.png

hrm but the synology doc says it can be installed on a 2-post rack:

RS819 supports up to 8 drives when connecting with one RX418 expansion unit. Since both RS819 and RX418 are only 12 inches in depth, they can fit perfectly in a 2-post or wall mount rack.

Does it means that using a more solid 2 post rack like the one below would be enough?

or better to go to a 4-post as you suggest:

(wonder if there is one less expensive).

Your current rack is under pressure from a torsion power caused by NAS weight, what is carried back to NAS case. It was (so so) eliminated in past by your previous arrangement, when NAS and switch was touched. But it’s not good for airflow (you don’t have independent airflow fans, or AC).

Yes, the heavy duty version is better from the description point of view.
It’s up to you. Good luck.

Your current rack is under pressure from a torsion power caused by NAS weight, what is carried back to NAS case. It was (so so) eliminated in past by your previous arrangement, when NAS and switch was touched. But it’s not good for airflow (you don’t have independent airflow fans, or AC).

Yes, the heavy duty version is better from the description point of view.
It’s up to you. Good luck.
cool, thanks for the info!

last, for all readers - regarding Synology recommendation for the 2-posts rack usage for Synology rackmount form factor NASes.

As you can see (above) there is strong difference between two similar 2-posts racks for different usage:
- lightweight rack for lightweight appliances (router about 700g, switch about 400g, ...)
- server rack (heavy duty) for appliances with weight >5kg per 1U ... all the Synology rackmount NASes

Off-topic but you may want to add cable organisers/ducts to keep it tidy (easier to maintain). Plus, if you are going to have lots of cables the same colour then adding tags to each end of a cable (e.g. the same unique ID on each end) will help trace the right ends.

@fredbert I agree, thanks for the idea! The plan for now is to add them to the patch panel using keystone rj45 male couplers. Also colored cables are comings. Lot of wip .. :) Now I'm trying to decide if i am ordering a 2-post rack or the 4-post rack (too bad the ubiquiti one is not out )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back