DSM 7.0 rsync fails to sync remote source

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 rsync fails to sync remote source

I need to sync files from a remote location to a local Synology device.

This fails as a Scheduled Task so I tested from the command line - see error log below.

The script

Code:
rsync -azP --include-from=/volume1/homes/my.user/scripts/rsync--include.txt --log-file=/volume1/homes/my.user/scripts/rsync.log -e 'ssh -p23 -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa' [email protected]:./backups/ /volume1/primary/backups/ > /volume1/homes/my.user/scripts/rsync.log 2>&1

Note the source runs SSH on port 23 (set with -p23 above) - the DS-1815 runs SSH on the default port 22 - do these need to match, I'm unclear on how connections are established and how traffic is routed?

Firewall notifications are enabled in DSM but none have been triggered.

Searching revealed a post that suggested the rsync versions must be identical on the source and destination - I can probably find out what the source version is but I don't think they need be identical.

The post linked below features the same 'rsync service is no running (code 43)' error but this user hadn't enabled the rsync file service on DSM whereas I have - see Environment below.

The next post suggests rsyncd is not running on DS-1815. $ ps ax | grep rsync - returns
18356 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/bin/rsync --daemon

It also suggests disabling and re enabling rsync in DSM - tried this, it makes no difference.

Searching the Synology Forum for variants of the error 'rsync service is no running (code 43)' returns no relevant results.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue please?

Thanks

The error log

Code:
receiving incremental file list
rsync error: rsync service is no running (code 43) at io.c(254) [receiver=3.1.2]
rsync: [generator] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(871) [generator=3.1.2]

If the script is adjusted to include --dry-run --verbose the outuput lists the expected files.

Code:
receiving incremental file list
dir/backups/220314-2203142103.zip
dir/plesk-backups/220319-2203191415.zip
mysql/
mysql/subdir/
mysql/subdir/220508_backup.sql.gz

sent 114 bytes  received 1,458 bytes  628.80 bytes/sec
total size is 21,548,025,524  speedup is 13,707,395.37 (DRY RUN)
es/sec
2022/05/08 21:41:00 [18595] total size is 21,548,025,524  speedup is 13,707,395.37 (DRY RUN)

Environment
  • Synology DS-1815+
  • DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3
  • $ rsync --version is 3.1.2 protocol version 31
  • SSH is enabled at DSM > Connectivity: Terminal
  • rsync is enabled at DSM > File Services: rsync
  • private key for passwordless access is installed at /.ssh/id_rsa

• Hetzner Storage Box
  • ssh service and external reachability are enabled
  • unsure of software versions but the DS-1815 does connect
  • SSH runs on port 23 - this is set in the rsync connection in my script

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.