Currently reading
rsync vs Remote NAS device

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I've got a Hyper Backup set up using rsync. Why did I do that rather than use 'Remote NAS device' being as I'm connecting Synology to Synology?

They're at different locations, I'm now able to use an improved VPN to connect the units, would remote NAS be a better option? If so, can I change from rsync to remote NAS?

I don't know, why did you do that? ;)

On the destination DSM NAS you need to install Hyper Backup Vault and then you can use it from the source DSM NAS., with the Synology type of task.

I'm not sure if you can relink to the current vault if you've change task type. I would suggest running a test on a small dataset, first using rsync and then trying to relink as a Synology remote NAS type.

Upvote 0
On the destination DSM NAS you need to install Hyper Backup Vault and then you can use it from the source DSM NAS., with the Synology type of task.
Is this the difference then? My rsync Hyper Backup destination is a folder in File Station. If I had chosen Remote NAS I'd have had to install HB Vault. So one advantage is you don't see the backup folder when in File Station? Anything else?

Upvote 0
Is this the difference then? My rsync Hyper Backup destination is a folder in File Station. If I had chosen Remote NAS I'd have had to install HB Vault. So one advantage is you don't see the backup folder when in File Station? Anything else?
The main difference is that rsync method will support backup to any compatible rsync server and leave the data in file/folder format.

HB, on the other hand, will require the HB app to access the data as it is in a database format, but on the other hand, it offers versioning for example. So if you need/want to version it should be used over plain rsync

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.