RT2600ac+MR2200ac vs. 2x MR2200ac

Currently reading
RT2600ac+MR2200ac vs. 2x MR2200ac

I am looking at using Synology WiFi routers and I'm wondering the differences in functionality/features/performance between two configurations:
1. RT2600ac + MR2200ac
2. Two MR2200ac

I know the coverage will be larger with the RT2600ac + MR2200ac, but what else should be considered?

LAN and USB ports, as well as ability to run Threat Prevention comes to mind. In general, more CPU power and memory on the 2600. Here's a Synology comparison chart that might answer your questions.

My ‘I got distracted before posting’ reply from yesterday …

The 2.4 GHz band supports up to 800 mbps on the RT2600ac vs 400 mbps. If you want to run Threat Prevention then you need the RT2600ac. Physical LAN ports 4 vs 1. USB ports 2 vs 1. SD card slot 1 vs 0.

Basically you could do a comparison of the network routers on the Synology website.

The MR2200ac can't run Threat Prevention? <<<---

I want to run both Threat Prevention and Parental Controls (Safe Access).

BTW, I currently have a single Gryphon which does well, centrally-located in my 2000 single-story house. A single MR2200ac would probably do just as well, but I can plan to add a second if needed.

Edit: Wait, how about a single WRX560?
-- post merged: --

FWIW, I only have about 15 or so devices.

As already linked Router Products | Synology Inc. you can compare the four available routers (use the checkbox to add shading). My RT2600ac recently started playing up and Synology support said it's soldered on eMMC had come to the end of its life. I changed it to a RT6600ax, still with the MR2200ac as mesh point. I could have got the WRX560 but it was actually more expensive (due to availability) plus I thought that the double memory will be better. It has more radio bands too, and increased speeds.

You will need an external USB drive to run Threat Prevention because this is where the database gets stored.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.