Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi All:

I have a couple of questions on how to get the best performance out of the RT6600ax radios with a client and satellites. I notice when my machine connects to the RT6600ax 5GHz-1 radio (which has 20/40/80/160 MHz channel widths) I get a solid connection at 1300Mbps. However, if it connects to the 5GHz-2 radio (or a nearby RT2200ac satellite), it only gets an 866Mbps connection. It seems to randomly grab one or the other whenever I open or reset the machine.

Q1: How do I get my machine (Mac) to connect to the faster 5GHz-1 radio all the time?

Q2: In the WiFi Connect>WiFi Settings>Radio>Advanced Settings, you get to pick which 5GHz channel you prefer for the 5GHz uplink. The default is 5GHz-1. My satelateis are 2 RT2200ac and 1 RT2600ac satellites. Does it make sense to use the bigger 5GHz-1 radio, or since they are ac devices, does it make sense to put them down on the 5GHz-2 radio? Particularly since the main machine I have is near by and I'd rather not share bandwidth with the other satellites.

Thanks for any pointers and help!

There are several topics on this matter on the forum already. As before, SRM 1.3 does not allow "locking" your devices on specific wifi in a mesh setup. It will choose the best one depending on a number of factors, and distance is not always the main one.

Your idea could work. Give it a go and see how your mesh behaves.

Oh that's a shame because it clearly is stupid in picking the way slower connection a fair amount of the time. I did switch around the backhaul, and it seemed to increase the chances a little bit, maybe it's about 50/50 now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.