Run Plex server on PC or NAS given network setup

NAS
???
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello all. First time post.

I’m more of an A/V guy than a computer guy but I’ve done pretty well and I’m happy with my current set up (Plex and network). But I need more storage (and redundancy) so I’m considering buying a NAS. Before I screw things up I’d like to get your thoughts/recommendations, not on what NAS to buy, but on what might be the best change to my set up. Right now I’m running the Plex server on my PC (windows 10, I5 CPU) located in my office on the 2nd story of my house. I’ve got an 8TB hard drive in the PC. The PC is hardwired (CAT 5e) to my router located in my basement, two levels down from the office. The speed to my PC is capped at 100 Mbps download, 12 Mbps upload, even though I get over 200 Mbps from Spectrum. (I’ve been unable to remedy that situation and it’s looking like I need to replace the cable which I’d rather not do but could be done with some expense.) From the router I’m using my existing coax cable and coax adapters to get over 200 Mbps to my Nvidia shield pro in my media room on my main level. I direct stream my content (MKV files of ripped 4K, blu-ray and regular dvd movies and concerts) with little to no buffering (except for one rip - Clapton’s latest 4K blu-ray, Lady in the Balcony, which buffers every 20 seconds – hmmm???).

So I’m thinking to buy a NAS (Synology DS1520+ or the DS1621+) and installing it in my basement where the router is.

The questions are: If I buy the NAS do you think running the Plex server on the NAS is the way to go given the higher speed from router to the Shield or should I keep running the Plex server on my PC because of the good CPU in the PC? Will it be easy to try the Plex server on the NAS and then if I’m not happy with the results, migrate back to the Plex server on the PC? How difficult will it be to transfer my existing files from my hard drive in my PC to the NAS? Any other thoughts/suggestions on all of this would be greatly appreciated.

What do you all think about this strategy: initially buying say the DS720+ to get me going down the nas road and allow time for the 2022s to come out, get tested and reviewed. When I'm ready for a newer, better one I should know more of exactly what my needs are. I could then relegate the 720 to a more minor role or sell it. This all might cost a little more overall but in the long run be better for me given my inexperience. Pros/cons of this strategy? Can the harddrives used in one nas be reused in another? Would you ever buy a used nas, even from a trusted source?

Upvote 0
One other thing to consider, at some point - you may want to go with a model that supports 10GBE for faster file transfer speeds. That does require an add on 10 GBE NIC for the NAS and connected clients, a switch that supports 10 GBE, and a minimum of Cat 6a cabling. I'm averaging 2x - 3x faster speeds moving data to/from my DS1819+ with 7200 RPM spindle SATA drives, SHR-1.

Upvote 0
I think starting slow is fine.
I see no issue with a decent used Nas, but most used Nas prices I see are insane. I'd rather buy new...but used would be fine to me.
10g lan is insanely expensive. The hardware is in a different league price wise (vs 1gb lan stuff). You have to need 10g to justify it (video editing etc) but maybe that's just me?
Shr2 can mix drive sizes just in 4s since it's 2 drive fault vs shr with 1 drive fault (pairs for upgrades)

Upvote 0
It is not as expensive as you might think...for one pc, NAS, and a switch capable of 10GBE the cost is less than $500
I guess expensive is relative.... I need 3 pc's and 3 nas (well, 2 I guess as my third doesnt have 10g unless a usb to nic works?)
I only recently saw the Synology E10G18-T1 single rj45 cards are like $140... so 2 of those, pci for 3 pc's, switch and new CAT6A............. for me, expensive.

I don't video edit, which seems to be the big draw for 10g - I just want it! :)

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.