Running a benchmark on SHR drives in a NAS How to select 2 Drives?

Currently reading
Running a benchmark on SHR drives in a NAS How to select 2 Drives?

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Prior to ram upgrade, Wanting to run a benchmark to see if more ram changes things....
I didn't wait the entire 18 minutes.... and a pop-up came up saying I need to select 2 drives (Drives are in SHR).
Found the knowledge post on this... which says I can do up to 3 drives (I only need 2 for 720+), but nothing about how you'd select more than 1 drive prior to benchmark Test... Let alone 3…. ??

Tried keyboard combinations... with no happy result.... So, how to select 2 drives, to do a benchmark on the drives.... And after they are documented, will increasing Ram have any effect on the results..??? . If not.... Suggesitions on how to determine if more Ram improves throughput?

Thanks

The pop up I saw appears to be a minor bug, suggesting you use two drives. Simple ‘work around’ for this is: test other drive first. Then it’s finished works, first drive will work.
Have seen it on 2x 720+’s and 718+.. same pop up each time. But it’s a simple work around.

Still interested: Will adding more ram change these results?

Last edited:
Prior to doing a memory upgrade (720+ Presently: Current DSM, 6GB Ram, 2 drive SHR, 2 SSD R/W Cache -- "Full Up" 720+)

Testing Large file I/O times, Multiple Benchmarks within DSM 7 (Drives & M.2 Caches) under real world conditions (did not isolate system as benchmark requested), and printouts of short and long term Resource Monitor exams.... (Disabled the power off and on rules in task manager for now)

Plan is: To see if Additional Ram over the Supported 6 makes any 'real world' improveements.... On a system that is not running VM's... or Video Serving other than 2 Security Cameras at 1080 H264 Resolution... and a couple Shared folder Sync routines...

Compared with another 720+ running Current DSM, 6GB Ram, larger SHR drives, Larger SSD R/W Cache, but same loads as 'test 720+' .....

All pre-Ram Tests are finished.... Just awaiting ram... (Should happen today if PO can get up snowy Mountain Roads!)

EDIT: Turns out "Supported" Ironwolf 510 M.2 SSD Caches are not supported for Benchmark!! (Returns "N/A" in all locations)
Samsung 970 EVO + are 'somewhat' supported..... but they, too, return some blank information.... (Sigh....! That’s software bug #2 this week in benchmark program!)

Last edited:
Well, Now I know...

Wanted to know: Does a user -- Benefit from greater than 6GB of ram?

Say you upgrade a 720+ from 6GB to 10GB of ram... Will there be an observable difference in operation in ANY way?

Answer would seem to be: NO...

About all you get is Bragging Rights!

Ok then! I have 10GB Ram in my 720+ But it doesn't appear to have ANY EFFECT WHATSOEVER....

Glad I only bought 8GB, and didn't buy 16GB! (I never was much into bragging rights anyway!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.