Running Docker on RPi Natively

Currently reading
Running Docker on RPi Natively

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
I've transitioned my RPi to an SSD, and I am expanding its usage to include basic docker containers, such as Vaultwarden, Sonarr, Radarr, Bookstack, Calibre and so on (presuming arm6/7 images are available).

Watching many YouTube videos related to docker on RPi, the majority that I seem to find, are using OpenMediaVault running on RPi to run Portainer. I don't get the point of that. Why run through OMV when Portainer is supported “natively” on RPi.

Am I overlooking and advantage OMV offers here?

I have a RPi4 with "vanilla" raspbian (without gui), docker installed and several containers like Portainer (which I mostly don't use), homeassistant, mosquitto, zigbee2mqtt, pihole, diun, wireguard, node red... and possibly some other that I dont't recall.

Everything is working without issues, I've never come across any need or suggestion to use OMV, which I once test-installed and didn't like/understand, but that was before having a synology so my problem was lack of understanding most likely.

I my case, my next action is to transition to SSD as I'm running the Pi from an SD card yet (don't judge me, I know)... may I ask which SSD/parts have you used?

may I ask which SSD/parts have you used?
Crucial 240GB BX500 SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD

StarTech.com SATA to USB Cable - USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter - External Converter for SSD/HDD Data Transfer (USB3S2SAT3CB)

I tried to transfer the SD image to the SSD but was unable to get a bootable SSD. I ended up using the Pi Imager to the SSD directly, and starting over. I'm still in that reconstructing process (hence the question about OMV). I'm a bit bummed as I had a working LE wildcard cert, and I'll likely have to repeat that, as the export/import process delinks the cert update feature I was using with nginx pm.

OMV seems pretty simple. When I get over the RPi setup, I plan to convert an old PC to OMV and see how dockerized Plex transcoding works.

Thanks for the links, I was already looking at a similar internal ssd + usb to sata converter.
I tried to transfer the SD image to the SSD but was unable to get a bootable SSD
My plan when I get the parts is also to reflash the os, and not clone the SD card, possibly installing the new raspberry release based on Deb11 as there is no supported upgrade path.
OMV seems pretty simple. When I get over the RPi setup, I plan to convert an old PC to OMV and see how dockerized Plex transcoding works.
Cool, looking for an update on this if you feel like posting it.

I finally found some time to transition the RPi4 to SSD using a sata-usb3 converter I had already.

Long story short, I found out that not all the sata-usb3 converters are compatible with the Pi (or Raspberry Pi OS, not clear) on the usb3 ports. The one I have in particular isn't. Everything works fine on the usb2 ports however.

Correct. Just FYI... but the connector I linked is fine. I found it referenced on the RPi site as compatible.
Thanks, I bought the same part from startech (or a very similar one) and with this unit the SSD boots on the usb3 ports... by the way, the difference in speed from connecting the sata SSD through usb2 vs usb3 is very clear, I did not expect it to be so noticeable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.