Running out of available capacity

Currently reading
Running out of available capacity

NAS
DS1813+
I received the following alert from my DS1813+:
Volume 1 (RAID 5, ext4) on SDSYNstorage03 is running out of available capacity. Please delete some files to free up space, or refer to here to learn how to add a drive, or here to learn how to replace a drive to expand the volume capacity. Total capacity: 25946.46 GB Available capacity: 2205.41 GB (8.50%)
All of the drives are allocated to Volume 1. /dev/md2 26T 24T 2.2T 92% /volume1
When I look at the data in folders in volume1 and add up the used I find that of the 25.34TB I have 20.14TB Free. This unit is connected to my ESX server and it confirmed my math. It seems my data uses 1/5th of the available space. But the synology itself thinks I am out of capacity. Can anyone suggest the correct course of action to have the synology not be concerned about used capacity? I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Have you run a Storage Analyzer report?

Services that support retaining historical file versions can take up space that isn't obvious: Cloud Station Server or Synology Drive Admin.

From the SSH command line you can use the 'du' command to report disk usage. For example, this command will drill two levels into and report usage in /volume1
Bash:
sudo du --max-depth=2 --human-readable /volume1

du --max-depth=2 --human-readable /volume1
4.0K /volume1/@autoupdate
24K /volume1/@tmp/nginx
28K /volume1/@tmp
16K /volume1/@S2S
24T /volume1/@iSCSI/EP
26G /volume1/@iSCSI/LUN
4.0K /volume1/@iSCSI/tmp
24T /volume1/@iSCSI
4.0K /volume1/@database/.pgsql.1523369585
28K /volume1/@database/synolog
8.0K /volume1/@database/synologan
42M /volume1/@database/pgsql
42M /volume1/@database
24T /volume1
Here is the result of the command you suggested.
When I went to the folders stored on /volume1 and did a rough addition of the space used by the files it came to 5000 Gig. So we have a "capacity" of 24TB of which 5TB is actually being used by files.
vmware looking at the vsphere client interface "sees" the Capacity as 25.34TB with 20.14TB free. So it sees the 5TB used the same as I do.
I believe the Synology sees allocated capacity minus total capacity only. So 24TB of the total capacity 26TB has been allocated to /Volume1 and 2.55TB was somehow left over. That amount has been slowly being used each day and this morning 2.07TB remains. /dev/md2 26T 24T 2.1T 92% /volume1
I do not understand why a human looks in /volume1 and sees only 5TB used and this agrees with what vmware sees but the Synology sees 24 of 26TB used.
But it says when the 2.1TB is used it will make the filesystem readonly. It is easy to see that the 2.1TB will be used up before the 20TB of free space in the filesystem is used.

The LUN was set up using very nearly all the capacity of the NAS. But you are correct the LUN is out of capacity. As far as it is concerned there is 2.07TB remaining and when I look inside the LUN there are 20TB avail. How do you reconcile the difference?

Having never used LUNs and iSCSI ... but has the LUN reserved the storage space so that other packges running on the NAS can't grab it? As such the NAS space is allocated but the LUN's use of this space is only when it is consumed as needed by the server connected to it.
↑↑↑ This. Either resize the LUN (or use dynamic size) or reset the "out of space" notification threshold.

Having never used LUNs and iSCSI ... but has the LUN reserved the storage space so that other packges running on the NAS can't grab it? As such the NAS space is allocated but the LUN's use of this space is only when it is consumed as needed by the server connected to it.
Yes it seems to be similar to having two identical buckets, one sitting inside the other. the outside or bottom bucket represents the total space of all the hard drives. In this case 25.34TB. The inside/top bucket is the used capacity 23.33TB. AND the space between the two buckets is the Avail capacity which has now shrunk to 1.93TB.
The Top bucket, the used capacity was used to create the iSCSI LUN called /Volume1 that is 25.34TB with 20.14TB Free. You are correct the LUN has the 25.34TB reserved for /Volume1. But as far as I know its not using more and has 20TB free to create folders and store files. I can create folders and delete them and the variable - Available Capacity 1.93TB does not change. I removed a folder holding ~2TB of files and the Available Capacity did not change. BUT something is slowly using that 1.93TB (yesterday it was 2.01TB) That is the question I am trying to answer.

↑↑↑ This. Either resize the LUN (or use dynamic size) or reset the "out of space" notification threshold.
Actually that is a good suggestion. shrinking the LUN would allow more space outside of the LUN possibly increasing the Available capacity which is currently 1.93TB. and the LUN is only using 1/5th of its current allocation. However, I still need to know what is using the space Outside of the LUN or it may ultimately be used. If you can suggest how I can find that I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Yes it seems to be similar to having two identical buckets, one sitting inside the other. the outside or bottom bucket represents the total space of all the hard drives. In this case 25.34TB. The inside/top bucket is the used capacity 23.33TB. AND the space between the two buckets is the Avail capacity which has now shrunk to 1.93TB.
The Top bucket, the used capacity was used to create the iSCSI LUN called /Volume1 that is 25.34TB with 20.14TB Free. You are correct the LUN has the 25.34TB reserved for /Volume1.
Hum, 25.34TB is the NAS disk capacity and LUN reserved (or file space generate for LUN) is 20.14TB. Usage of the LUN has been around 5TB, but the remaining 15TB of LUN space isn't available to be used by the NAS and it won't report it as unused as the NAS doesn't look inside the LUN to see how it's being used. The LUN is analogous to having a massive 20TB file.

So that leaves ~5TB of non-LUN storage that the NAS can use to support other packages and services. Of which ~3TB has been used and ~2TB remains.

That low capacity warning was the NAS saying it sees 23TB used (3TB outside the LUN and the LUN's 20TB allocation).

Sorry to go over this again, just wanted to try to be sure what I said before was clear.

However, I still need to know what is using the space Outside of the LUN or it may ultimately be used
This gets back to @Telos first response and versioning.

What other packages and features are you using? Something that is generating logs wouldn't be consuming that much space in a day, but an active use of Drive or Cloud Station with a high historical version limit could be adding more iterations of files.

Recently I've been attempting to clear out some space on my DS718+. After deleting some files and clearing out the recycle been, I've noticed that the used space has stayed the same. Has anyone else experienced this lately? I did see a recent fix released in one of the DSM updates regarding certain files not properly deleting when clearing from the recycle bin.

Recently I've been attempting to clear out some space on my DS718+. After deleting some files and clearing out the recycle been, I've noticed that the used space has stayed the same. Has anyone else experienced this lately? I did see a recent fix released in one of the DSM updates regarding certain files not properly deleting when clearing from the recycle bin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.