S.M.A.R.T: Status: Failing

Currently reading
S.M.A.R.T: Status: Failing

Last edited:
Is the nas still running but just has disk warnings on it? If so replace one disk at a time with a brand new disk and it’ll rebuild.
NAS is up and running. New drives just arrived. Have hyper backup running, and not recalling the name for the Synology configuration file. Even with that and the online tutorials, concerned that by the end of this I will be struck rebuilding everything from scratch.

Appreciate the mention of installing one drive at a time and it will rebuild. That is the best case scenario. No concern around blocks/sectors/data getting transferred to new drive?

Update:

Drives have been replaced. Didn’t expect each drive rebuild to take 24-30 hours. When both were complete, got error where a scrub seemed to have done the trick.

A few additional questions surfaced which I will create a separate post to keep the topics separated.

Overall it appears everything has been fixed and running as before, however healthy status messages.

Thank you for the input and support.

When both were complete, got error where a scrub seemed to have done the trick.
Before replacing a failing (or good) drive (not, failed drive) in SHR, always scrub to ensure your data integrity. After you have removed a drive, there is no means to truly repair data integrity as you no longer have dual copy capability

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.