[SA3200D] Can I expand my storage pool by adding a new RAID group to the existing one?

Currently reading
[SA3200D] Can I expand my storage pool by adding a new RAID group to the existing one?

NAS
SA3200D
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Hi,

I have a storage pool backed by RAID6 raid group using 4 disks 8T each. The pool contains one volume.
I bought 4 more disks 8T each, I want to create a new RAID6 raid group, add the new raid to the existing storage pool, then expand my volume.
Can I do this on the SA3200D?

Regards.

I think you might be misunderstanding things. The storage pool is the RAID 6 of the four 8 TB drives. To rephrase what you are asking: can I add a storage pool to my storage pool... the answer is 'no'.

You could add extra 8 TB drives to your current RAID 6 storage pool and so increase the raw storage. There would still be two drives worth of data resilience, as there is now. The alternative is to create a new storage pool, using the appropriate RAID type, and then create a new volume on it.

Hi,

If I added the 4 new disks to my current RAID6, this means that it will be rebuilt to accept the new disks, not just concatenate two RAID groups and expand a volume on them????

Regards.

Yes, you can Add drives to Expand the RAID 6 Storage Pool. See the online help for full information...

You can access the same (or device-specific) Help from within DSM itself and also the packages too.

In DSM there is the builtin Help 'app' in the applications menu...
1702211724531.png
In DSM main web view there's the Search magnifying glass icon...
1702211877485.png
... which brings up a search dialogue that can find things in DSM's Help...
1702212475656.png
In packages/applications, such as Storage Manager, there's direct access to DSM's Help pages for this package using the ? icon...
1702212240564.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.