2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I am looking for a cost effective turnkey solution to provide a more intuitive solution to my current Asus AC 68u with regards to securing my network for young teens. I am hoping that SRM can provide this and maybe enable my wife to become involved in monitoring the kids activity.

Options I am considering

1) Buy the cheaper 2200 and run it in bridge mode or
2) buy the 2600 and replace the Asus.

Both the router 2600 and mesh 2200 are available here in South Africa at decent prices.

Questions:

1) Would I lose any functionality by going with option 1?
2) Anyone using SRM time management, web filtering and monitoring/reporting for child safety, is this a good solution how have you found it?

Thanks for any advice
Jon

Hi,

An alternative suggestion since you’ve a capable DS is to try Ad Guard and see. It has some basic parental controls. If it’s not good enough (for your needs) then you’ve installed a very nice ad blocking and privacy solution that I’m sure you’ll make use of 🙂
Thanks, I will take a look (y)

An alternative suggestion since you’ve a capable DS is to try Ad Guard and see. It has some basic parental controls. If it’s not good enough (for your needs) then you’ve installed a very nice ad blocking and privacy solution that I’m sure you’ll make use of
I guess this depends how deep @bonnytidetimes wants to go in the techy stuff as it needs to run in a Docker container. He will also need to know how to update the images of Docker containers (you cant just simply click the 'Update' button..).

I'd say using the 'Safe Access' in SRM is also fine as long as you keep your network very basic.

I don't use SRM 'Safe Access' because it intercepts DNS traffic and that is causing issues in my network as I have internal DNS (AdGaurd Home) servers.. :)

Euhm,, bridge mode? No you should not run that in bridge mode...
The RT2600AC can be considered if you want to use Threat Prevention while operating a loaded network. If not, the MR2200AC will be fine.

Options I am considering

2) buy the 2600 and replace the Asus.

Questions:

1) Would I lose any functionality by going with option 1?
2) Anyone using SRM time management, web filtering and monitoring/reporting for child safety, is this a good solution how have you found it?

When you are considering about bridge mode in the exist Asus router then 2200 as primary managed router = yes, it's 100% safer scenario than any Asus router as your primary gateway.

Answers to your questions part:

1. No. But it depends on your network knowledge skills. You can purchase any super HW, but it will be same as low cost router, when you don't have skills.

2. This feature in SRM is just a toy. This isn't real Deep packet inspection tool.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.