NAS
DS418 X 2
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
This is just a quick conformation question:

I am running DSM 7

I have two Storage Pools 1and 2 - the Pool 2 [Volume 2 Basic Config RAID] is a 10 TB drive, I would like to delete this pool and add the drive to Storage Pool 1 [as this is running out of space] The data on SP 2 has been backed and some removed. I would like to have confirmation I will only delete the "Shared Folders" on SP 2 and not any of the Data on SP1 [Volume1].

I was thinking of just ejecting [and replacing with a new 6TB HDS] but seem the original configuration does not allow, its not really a problem as the data on SP 2 is not needed. I am aware my drives on SP1 are only 6 TB drives and I will reduce space on the 10TB, this is fine.

I recently added a 4th 10 TB drive to another Synology NAS to give me 30TB so thats all good.

I have attached screen shots: The Shared Folders Documents V2, Test For Deletion, Time Machine, Video V2 are ok to be deleted. I am 99.9% sure I can "Remove" its just my very cautious "Check Before" in play here :)

Thanks, Jim

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 10.23.08 am.png
Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 10.17.27 am.png

Solution
I would like to have confirmation I will only delete the "Shared Folders" on SP 2 and not any of the Data on SP1 [Volume1].
Why would vol1 be affected. This is a simple warning that shared folders located on will be lost. Alternately, you can relocate those folders' location to vol1, or delete those shared folders via Control Panel.

I would do one of those two options, and then physically remove the drive (no need to delete the volume/pool). Keep it simple!
Last edited:
I would like to have confirmation I will only delete the "Shared Folders" on SP 2 and not any of the Data on SP1 [Volume1].
Why would vol1 be affected. This is a simple warning that shared folders located on will be lost. Alternately, you can relocate those folders' location to vol1, or delete those shared folders via Control Panel.

I would do one of those two options, and then physically remove the drive (no need to delete the volume/pool). Keep it simple!

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks Telos,

I have successfully removed the Storage Pool and added the HDD to SP 1, now just time :) all seems normal.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.