Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
I could not resist, 2TB QVO for black friday for just 109€.
Decided to just do it and see what happens.

Used my second SHR (TLC 2* SSD) disk BTRFS pool/volume to try, and added this 3rd disk without issues. This is not my main SSD pool, it contains slow moving data like music and video as well as some 1st line backups.
The other pool with the 3 fast SSD contains the packages, web and DB Applications for fast access times.

The expansion took 11 hours which was more than I anticipated, as setting up the first two was done in just over 1 hour. It is clear that these QVO are hardly any faster than a HDD when transferring a TB.
Temperature during data scrub and parity build remains as low as 36C, whlie the A400's reached 56C, so quite an improvement.

Anyway, so far so good, and let’s see how this disk survives its 3 year warranty and beyond…

What do "loose" by using unsupported SSD in Syn NAS? Can it stop working after DSM update? No warranty?
I have a 1621+, I want to buy Samsung 870 since it so much cheaper than the officially supported 2TB Synology alternative.

New Synology user here. Does the NAS use any ekstra features on the SSDs or HDDs? Which is special for particular models, or do they integrate just like any other computer?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.