Currently reading
Scheduling backups second nas - google drive

NAS
DS 918+, DS1019+, DS1819+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Ha people, I want to present you the following.

I still use the unlimited storage at google for data storage. I fear that will change in the future.
I have a 415+ on which I have business files, also backups of customers and my own gear (nas) are on it, these now go extra towards google drive. I have a second 415+ that I want to use, among other things, to make an extra local backup of the first 415+ (according to a schedule to always have a local backup). Do I always have to leave the second 415+ (only for periodic backups) on or can the disks be switched off (or the entire nas) and as soon as the first 415+ wants to make a backup, the nas is activated automatically? Another option would be to use WOL to wake up the extra nas, however via LACP in my uni-fi network WOL doesn't seem to work :(
I also have a 918+ but I want to use it for downloading etc so that everything remains separate.

Anyone tips or better ideas?

Do I always have to leave the second 415+ (only for periodic backups) on or can the disks be switched off (or the entire nas) and as soon as the first 415+ wants to make a backup, the nas is activated automatically?
No matter what method of backup you are using, or what tool, the destination has to be awake and ready. Turning your nas on and off just for backups would not save you much energy and it could put your array under more stress with booting up all the time. Not sure what the reason is that you want to turn it off while not in use but imho it would be best to just keep it alive if possible.

Hi Luka,
Clear, I thought something like that. However, at some point you have to look at what backups yield you (in money) and costs (wear and tear / energy / etc).
Since backups are stored elsewhere (such as now at Google) costs relatively little, you save those costs.
It is not the case that masses of customers currently use this solution, which means that costs / revenues have to be in balance somewhere.

In addition, I have to find out again what kind of backup strategy (versions, etc.) is best because the total space used in many versions in version control increases very quickly.

In addition, I have to find out again what kind of backup strategy (versions, etc.) is best because the total space used in many versions in version control increases very quickly.
Actually versions will allow you to save on space not lose it more, but as you said, plan to version accordingly to maximize your space. Still, powering the NAS off will definitely not save you a lot per year. If it's business backup you are doing anything less than 1day backup is risky, so if we take that into consideration, powering your NAS daily will surely have potential consequences on your NAS/drives, but, that is again just my opinion.

I am sure you have a "math" that has to work for you and guess you will be able to make it work.

Again, making your backup work will require you to have the target nas awake and ready no matter how you plan on making that happen.

Hi Luka,

Power the Nas off is not the way to walk > agree

I use now the scheme for versioning backups from the source nas to the target cloud:

1602744030836.png

I think that the default versions to save is to many (256) if i can switch to a lower amount the used space will be smaller and i preserve enough versions

Thanks Luka, it's always thinking of the source from which you backup -> how many versions do you need to have as a backup in case of troubles.
I have read a lot about backup routines and what the best routine might be. Many articles, many opinions so that is not very helpful.
I think a month back in the past is enough, the current setup goes back so far in time that it doesn't reflect the environment like it is at this moment...

Correct. Some things you might need to have backed up for years, but in cases like that you might just keep one major backup a year along with monthly (1), weekly (1), and daily (7). It all depends on demand and expectations.

In some cases, snapshots not older than 5min might be needed and you can use Snapshot and replication tool for that, but, as I said, it all depends. The point is you have tools that can cover all of those scenarios on your NAS and if not, you can still use a 3rd party tool and use your NAS as a pure destination target.

Thank you for your comments on this, i have taken some actions already to reduce the amount of versions to be saved. 256 is way to much for the backup sources.

Q: i have a customer that runs the pst file for outlook on the nas instead on the pc, the pc is daily backup-ed on the local Nas > local Nas daily to me.
Is it clever to run the PST on the Nas?

Q: i have a customer that runs the pst file for outlook on the nas instead on the pc, the pc is daily backup-ed on the local Nas > local Nas daily to me.
Is it clever to run the PST on the Nas?

It's OK to open a PST from a network location. But if there are performance concerns, you'll know what to do. :)

It's OK to open a PST from a network location. But if there are performance concerns, you'll know what to do. :)
Indeed, sometimes the local connection to the nas is not complete and outlook can't find the pst file; that's all so for the moment i will keep it that way

Honestly I read all the threat in 5 seconds while scrolling to the bottom. I don't think I saw any mention of hibernating the disks when idle.

If you aren't using one of the packages/features that keeps disks active all the time* then the hibernation feature does work: I rebuilt a DS215j with just the vanilla install and CMS on another NAS reports it as hibernating most of the time. It should be less stress than rebooting and you'll save some power but there has always been debate about whether it's better for the disks to just keep them spinning (google will help you find lots on this)>

Just a thought.

*What stops my Synology NAS from entering Hibernation?

Ha people, I want to present you the following.

I still use the unlimited storage at google for data storage. I fear that will change in the future.
I have a 415+ on which I have business files, also backups of customers and my own gear (nas) are on it, these now go extra towards google drive. I have a second 415+ that I want to use, among other things, to make an extra local backup of the first 415+ (according to a schedule to always have a local backup). Do I always have to leave the second 415+ (only for periodic backups) on or can the disks be switched off (or the entire nas) and as soon as the first 415+ wants to make a backup, the nas is activated automatically? Another option would be to use WOL to wake up the extra nas, however via LACP in my uni-fi network WOL doesn't seem to work :(
I also have a 918+ but I want to use it for downloading etc so that everything remains separate.

Anyone tips or better ideas?
Jeroen,

there is no evidence that restarting a nas and the disks shorten their life time. There is evidence that more hours mean lower lifetime.
So I always tell people to switch off the nas, save a bit of energy and CO2.
You also have more protection against malware and hackers, a DS that is switched off, is more safe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.