Screwed up the migration from DS216+ to DS920+

Currently reading
Screwed up the migration from DS216+ to DS920+

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi
I apparently didn't research all of this thoroughly enough because I've had 1 issue after another...
First off I attempted to the use DS920+'s migration software which kinda sorta worked but rather than move both drives out of the DS216J, I only removed one to keep the other in a "safe place" in case the 920+ decided to format the drive... so it started with a degraded status but I proceeded forward... only when I went to restart the 920+, it went back into migration mode and we started again. Eventually I gave up and put the 2nd drive in but the problem is now the system keeps finding file system errors within the volume! I've restarted and restarted and restarted and each time it does the file check but never seems to fix anything. So my next step was to connect my external HD reader so that I could copy my critial files over to a 3rd drive, basically delete the existing storage pool and rebuild it only its going at the going at a terrible speed (9mb/s).... after an entire day+ of trying to copy 2.77TB, i gave up and put the drive into one of the open bays, created a new pool and volume and Im coping them over within the NAS itself. AGain slow as can be?!? How can a machine that has specs over 2x what I used to have be half as slow?!?

Resource manager says its working on the indexing (universal search at 62% of the CPU!) but I have indexing paused.

Meanwhile the Crucial RAM I bought apparently isnt compatible and my 2080 M2 card isnt being recognized by the system.
This really has been a pain in the butt compared to when I went to the 216J. I Dont mind recopying data but the speed this thing is going is insane!
Any suggestiond would be appreciated.
BTW despite the file check warning , the volume states healthy.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but yes, you should have done maybe a bit more homework beforehand. Regardless, this is not something that should turn you down from pushing forward.

Regarding ram and m2, nothing you can do there apart from getting compatible modules.

created a new pool and volume and Im coping them over within the NAS itself. AGain slow as can be?!?
Depending on the drive speeds and the configuration of your initial volume (guessing a mirror configuration, RAID1 or SHR), as well as the type of data you are moving this might take a long time to complete.

If you are copying multiple small files (or smaller files), your transfer will be much slower than moving a smaller number of large files.

Also, how are you exactly copying the files? Are you using the File station app, or are you transferring via your computer in the middle over an SMB share?

All this will have an effect, not to mention that your CPU is over 60% with Universal search kicking in. Considering that you have added the second drive of your initial volume in the nas well, on top of the spare/backup one, is it possible that the initial volume is still rebuilding back (because you stated in degrade mode with a single drive)?

Check your Storage manager and the status of pool and volume (even though it is healthy), see if it's rebuilding or scrubbing the data. This process will severely slow down data transfers and keep your CPU busy.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but yes, you should have done maybe a bit more homework beforehand. Regardless, this is not something that should turn you down from pushing forward.

Regarding ram and m2, nothing you can do there apart from getting compatible modules.

Depending on the drive speeds and the configuration of your initial volume (guessing a mirror configuration, RAID1 or SHR), as well as the type of data you are moving this might take a long time to complete.

If you are copying multiple small files (or smaller files), your transfer will be much slower than moving a smaller number of large files.

Also, how are you exactly copying the files? Are you using the File station app, or are you transferring via your computer in the middle over an SMB share?

All this will have an effect, not to mention that your CPU is over 60% with Universal search kicking in. Considering that you have added the second drive of your initial volume in the nas well, on top of the spare/backup one, is it possible that the initial volume is still rebuilding back (because you stated in degrade mode with a single drive)?

Check your Storage manager and the status of pool and volume (even though it is healthy), see if it's rebuilding or scrubbing the data. This process will severely slow down data transfers and keep your CPU busy.
Good Morning/Evening.
Thank you replying

I was hoping the M2 could have been compatible being its a NVME 2080 and not a SSD.... but I did not look at the compatible list (if synology is being that anal about these components its insane...Now I was using this drive on my machine before so I basically uninitialized it. I dont know if that was the issue so I removed it and initialized it on my PC. Once this copying is done, I will shutdown and reinsert it again. Hopefully that works. Agree on the Ram. I looked at compatible chips on NASCompare and that was why i bought it but when I searched that model and DS920+ after, other people had the same issue... so I just requested an RMA and ordered Samsung ram that others have said worked and crossing my fingers there.

So regarding the transfer I am using file station via the web. I did not want the PC or router to play a part, just internal to the NAS. It is slowly churning but I know its going to take its time. The file system is currently Raid 1... I havent decided if I am going to redo it as an SHR or not. I like the idea of being able to pop the drive into an external reader if I need to and its my understanding the SHR will not allow that.

As far as the drive rebuilding goes, that's what the NAS did all night last night. It brought the 2nd drive back into sync but its weird because its saving Volume 2 (the 3rd independant drive) is being "validated". Indexing is paused in the top status bar (so I am not sure why the resources are being "held" by that task).... I also have indexing disabled in the universal search option but I think for a first run its mandatory. Lastly I did the SMB changes that were recommended in older machines but since this is all internal to the box, I dont think that matters here. I thought that was a windows network change.

Maybe that validation is the problem here.. but that same drive was the one in the external reader and its moving at pretty much the same speed.

Last edited:
Well in that case I would have to say, it's the drive(s) speed. If everything else is completed and done, then the actual task of copying the data will depend on a) drive speed and b) type of data being transferred (lots of small/large files).
So I restarted, got out different M2s and installed them. Got the flashing blue light for about 20 minutes but let it go... now Synology Assistant keeps going back and forth between a checking Quote status and the file scan status. Once I get it up and running Id like to enable disk read and write cache and then I'll let it do its thing

Update: The status eventually goes to Ready and it took forever but i was able to log back in... only to be greeted by the file system error window again.

Last edited:
I thought about that but I couldnt shut it down while the SSD Cache was mounting. It finally took so I'm back to manually copying the files from Volume to Volume 2 (raid 0). Once I know the files are safe may just reset everything including that Raid 1 volume

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.