Second NAS setup question ?

Currently reading
Second NAS setup question ?

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Hi from New Zealand,

setting up my second NAS. I have set my admin name and password the same as my first NAS.

Is this ok ?

Cheers,
David

Hi Rusty,
Thanks for your speedy, helpful reply.

Thought it might cause conflict with the quick connect link.

Dave

Two separate NAS with the same local credentials act as independent units, even if they share the same Synology account. The QC stuff is separate too.

I would try to avoid accessing the NAS using the admin account from less trusted locations, use a standard account to create VPN access if you need to and then use the secure tunnel for admin access. This way both the standard and admin accounts need to be known for remote admin access.

This has absolutely no foundation in fact or evidence, but I do this to stop the even remote chance that the admin credentials are exposed. Also you should consider enabling the two factor authentication (2FA). Having two NAS using the same credentials means that if one is compromised then the other is exposed too.

Hi Fredbert,

Appreciate the very comprehensive reply.
Not familiar with creating VPN access if necessary, but as l understand, no problem moving ahead with using same account.

Many thanks,

Dave

Check out VPN Server, it supports three types of VPN service: OpenVPN; L2TP IPsec; PPTP. Forget PPTP:
  1. OpenVPN is usually the preferred service:
    1. No macOS builtin client so you need to install one, such as the official one or TunnelBlick.
    2. The server port can be set as you need (TCP or UDP).
    3. VPN Server generates a provisioning file that you have to upload to the client (it isn't as hard as it sounds).
    4. Same goes for iOS (and other clients?) but at least the tunnel can be maintained when your connection switches (e.g. WiFi to mobile).
  2. L2TP IPsec:
    1. Most devices have a builtin support for this client.
    2. The ports are fixed (mix of TCP and UDP).
    3. iOS client won't reconnect when the connection switches (this was due to patent infringement so it was removed)... other devices too??
Also, by using a VPN service, provided you trust your ISP, you can connect to home from less trusted locations and access your Internet services... as if you are at home. The only issue will be that the speed will be limited to the lower of your ISP in/out bandwidths, since you would be using both for sending out and also for receiving in with the remote access VPN tunnel.

Things to think about.

Check out VPN Server, it supports three types of VPN service: OpenVPN; L2TP IPsec; PPTP. Forget PPTP:
  1. OpenVPN is usually the preferred service:
    1. No macOS builtin client so you need to install one, such as the official one or TunnelBlick.
    2. The server port can be set as you need (TCP or UDP).
    3. VPN Server generates a provisioning file that you have to upload to the client (it isn't as hard as it sounds).
    4. Same goes for iOS (and other clients?) but at least the tunnel can be maintained when your connection switches (e.g. WiFi to mobile).
  2. L2TP IPsec:
    1. Most devices have a builtin support for this client.
    2. The ports are fixed (mix of TCP and UDP).
    3. iOS client won't reconnect when the connection switches (this was due to patent infringement so it was removed)... other devices too??
Also, by using a VPN service, provided you trust your ISP, you can connect to home from less trusted locations and access your Internet services... as if you are at home. The only issue will be that the speed will be limited to the lower of your ISP in/out bandwidths, since you would be using both for sending out and also for receiving in with the remote access VPN tunnel.

Things to think about.
Wow!

Super helpful. Man, talk about expertise!
Thanks again

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.