NAS
Ds215j
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,
I have recently accessed my synology Nas through my iPad by adding it as a server in the standard iPad files app. I have also got the DS photo app but that isn’t what I’m interested in for this query. I can navigate to my photos with no problem but unlike on my MacBook which shows thumbnail and large previews on all my photos through the Finder ( which is my normal way of accessing my nas) none of the photos come with thumbnails. Is there any way of getting photo thumbnails to show, or is this a limitation of the iPad?

Hi all thanks for your replies. Let me add add a little more context. I'm not interested in using a separate app, I'm specifically interested in seeing thumbnails through the native iPad file finder. This I because I am trying to create a photo book at printerpix.co.uk (my MacBook has some problems hence resorting to iPad) and my problem comes when I hit that website's 'upload photos' button. I don't get the option of using a separate app like ds photos, the website just opens the iPads native file browser as the only option I have to select photos and it doesn't show thumbnails which makes it pretty difficult. Unless of course there is a way to make the iPad use a 3rd party file finder in this situation.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I don't know if this helps, but I have DS File listed in the Files app. Going through DS File to my shared photos folder, I see the the thumbnails. A somewhat tortuous route to the thumbnails and because I have 2FA enabled, getting the 6 digit 2FA code into DS File was a bit of a pain as the dialogue box kept disappearing...
edit: just to add that this is by looking for thumbnails on my iPad and not via printerpix. I will see if I can get the same effect via printerpix....
-- post merged: --

Seems to work for me via printerpix. I opened printerix.co.uk and selected a mug as something simple to try. To add my photo, I clicked on the upload button which came up with the printerpix 'drag & drop any files or upload your photos' dialogue. On 'Upload your photos' I selected Chooose Files, which brought up some of my folders in a window titled 'On My iPad'. Using the '<Browse' button, top left of 'On My iPad' brought up the Browse listing with Locations.., Favourites..., Shared.. Shared by the way has my NAS IP address. Using the IP address link, does not give thumbnails, but by selecting DS File gives me a listing of all my shared folders on the NAS, of which Photo is one. Selecting Photo gives me the photos in the sub-folders as thumbnails. Note the thumbnails are for jpeg photos and not for HEIC formatted photos. (A long time ago I set iPad and iPhones to jpeg rather than HEIC format.)

I hope that this helps.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.