Currently reading
Question Seed backup locally, continue from remote for off-site-backups

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I've got 4TB ish of data that needs to be backed up "off site". I've set up a Hyper Backup but its slow and going to take a week or so.

In this scenario, I'm in the off site location and I already have a copy of the data - cos we're already doing backups. So, can I create a Hyper Backup using the data I have. Once that's in the Hyper Backup Vault here, can I go to the other Synology and set up a Hyper Backup and have it pickup the backup I created?

If so it would take hours rather than days!

I think this says I can but someone tell me its true.

• To reuse existing backup data on any destination, select Relink to existing task. Relinking helps you directly leverage the backup data from a different task.

What you are asking is typically done by bringing the off-site device (NAS) to the onsite location, and running HB to create the baseline backup.

Then, relocate the back-up device to its off-site location, relink the backup, so that HB continues versioning changed file blocks.

I'm trying to try this. The data I have is on an external USB drive which I've connected to my Synology. But Hyper Backup is expecting or asking for a Shared Folder to backup. The drive isn't, neither are its contents and I'm not sure how to make it a shared folder.

Possible?

A connected USB drive creates a shared folder automagically (see Control Panel/Shared Folders) when the USB is connected.
iGKxDgz.png

A connected USB drive creates a shared folder automagically
Yes but it didn't appear in the list of 'shared folders' that Hyper Backup offered me as the source. Either I'm totally wrong or you can't backup -from- a USB drive. So meanwhile I'm making a temporary copy on Volume1 and I'll backup from that. Long way 'round but quicker than over the WAN!

This is becoming a bit of a pain.

Since Friday lunchtime (now Monday breakfast time) I've managed to upload 4% of the data which I want on a remote Synology. I need a better way to do this.

I have data on the remote Synology which is an off-site backup. But its not a Synology backup so I made a copy as a backup using Hyper Backup. Now I want to keep this off-site backup up to date. However from my local Synology I can't connect to the backup as "relink to an existing task". Maybe a Hyper Backup will only reconnect with the exact type originally made. So I have a "local" version and now I want to keep it up to date using rsync.

I can't physically take any hardware to the remote site. In any case there is already a hard drive containing the data there (and that data has also been copied to the NAS).

So other that spend the next two or three months saturating (I really am) my piss poor uplink, what are my options?

So other that spend the next two or three months saturating (I really am) my piss poor uplink, what are my options?
So now I've spent this week creating a 'local' rsync backup using the data on the 'remote' nas. It's taken days and now complete. So now I want to 'relink' a task from my location to make the off-site backup up to date and continue doing so. Fine, created a new "relink' rsync here and started it running - major victory! But now its downloading from the remote off-site back to me. WTF? Its saturating the upload link. What is being downloaded? Why oh why!

Its saturating the upload link. What is being downloaded?
I still don't know but after three or four hours it seemed done. Last time I looked it was at 80%. But now its back to 0% and has been for an hour or two. I have no idea what is going on, I haven't seen any 'instructions' which explain the relinking process. Anyone shed any lite?

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 12.14.53.png

Leave it. It will complete it one way or the other. Just give it some more time.
Thanks, you got it moving! Do you think it will stop at 100% for as long as it did 0%.

Been like this for two hours now...
Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 16.05.09.png

Gorra laff otherwise i'm gonna cry. 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.