DS920+ DS215J,
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
After installing and then having to remove additional Memory to my 920+ due to incompatibility, I installed a Non-Syn, but recommended 4GB stick that appears to be working. I ran the Memory Test and just cannot find a working path using the SSH / Port 22 route via PuTTy.... I cannot get past the PASSWORD entry... Fails every time. I also tried Windows Shell... also the same issue... Even change the Admin Password with no luck. With all the Logs available in the DSM, how does none of these contain the results of the Memory Test? Any suggestions on how to extract the MEM Test results will be most appreciated.

What exact error do you get? You are sure this is memory-related?
PuTTY responds with "Access Denied with the Password....... "Memory Related"? Not sure of your question.... Using SSH to view appears to be the only method offered to obtain the actual results of the SA Test which did complete.

Attachments

• PuTTY Access is Denied.jpg
    PuTTY Access is Denied.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 34
Try creating a new account with admin priviliges and try to SSH into your NAS with that account?
You should never use 'admin' account anyway.
To insure I did not alter my already loaded volumes of three 3TB Drives, I pulled them all and put in a single 1TB Drive for these tests.... But I did as you advised and added a separate new user..... Now its showing the below when entering the password.
"Could not chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/putty: No such file or directory"
-- post merged: --

Were you able to SSH onto the NAS prior to adding the RAM module?

Agree with @Shadow re. create a new account for administration. Adding that new account to the Administrators group will give it admin rights. Then disable the built-in admin and guest accounts.
Hi fredbert... your help is always welcome...

No... I had never tried SSH prior to this....

Attachments

• could not change directory.jpg
    could not change directory.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Home? Are you referring to User Group permissions? see attached
-- post merged: --

Not knowing what one is doing can sometimes be an asset......

I thought I had tried every combination of entries... until now...

After getting the Change Directory Error Message, I just took a chance and used the Command that is offered from several others to get the Test results:

sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep 'Memtest'

Once I entered it, it worked!

Why its showing the header of "Password" is a mystery. to me... But it does show the 3 lines that one is supposed to get that is reporting the successful Memtest results...

Thanks for all your support...

See Attached....

Attachments

• Users.jpg
    Users.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 76
  • MEM Test Result.jpg
    MEM Test Result.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 78
Why its showing the header of "Password" is a mystery. to me... But it does show the 3 lines that one is supposed to get that is reporting the successful Memtest results...
The sudo command enables you to run the following commands as a super-user but you have to enter your password first before this will run.

Home? Are you referring to User Group permissions? see attached
User Home... you have to have it enabled to allow your users to have a home folder and is required by quite a few packages.

1626801216427.png

Yes... thank you for that explanation. I just reinstalled my original drives and all is working, and I began writing step x step instructions for the future and now of course it stops me at the Password entry. I need to find out what is causing this now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.