Question Seeking remedy for "RTNETLINK answers: Permission denied"

Currently reading
Question Seeking remedy for "RTNETLINK answers: Permission denied"

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
I've been tinkering with markusmcnugen-qbittorrentvpn trying to get it to work with AirVPN. I'm darned close, but I ran into this (read from bottom to top):

5bBvMNB.png

After a cursory search, I ran across this...
Due to a change in docker, you have to --ipv6 and provide a --fixed-cidr-v6, otherwise IPv6 is disabled automatically inside the containers.

You can also explicitly enable via sysctl by adding the following to your docker-compose or passing it as a flag to docker run.
Code:
      sysctls:

- net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=0
and this...
Got it working by adding
Code:
--sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=0
to the docker run command.
... but I'm stumped on how to do this. It's not obvious in the Synology Docker GUI. I've just started using Portainer... maybe? there's a way to edit the container there?

The thought I had was to export the container setting and edit the export file to include CODE]--sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=0[/CODE] and then reimport that. Does that make sense?

Suggestions welcome...
Reference: RTNETLINK answers: Permission denied · Issue #75 · dperson/openvpn-client

Last edited:
@Telos Can you outline exactly how you did this? I'm also using the Synology docker GUI and don't really know how to alter the opvn configuration.

I've found other posts saying you also need to do 3 parameters: (see here)
pull-filter ignore "dhcp-option DNS6"
pull-filter ignore "tun-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"

I do think I got it mostly working if I added one of these in the GUI for Environment, but I can't see a way to enter more than 1 option on the one line. It seems to only start fully if I use the ifconfig one:

OPENVPN_OPTS --pull-filter ignore ifconfig-ipv6
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 8.24.39 PM.png

Using this, I can get the docker container to load, and get the Transmission web interface, but in the logs I also see:
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 8.11.46 PM.png

Last edited:
... but I'm stumped on how to do this. It's not obvious in the Synology Docker GUI. I've just started using Portainer... maybe? there's a way to edit the container there?
The sysctl configuration item is just another example of a configuration not supported by the Docker UI and as such not fixable by exporting/modifiying and re-importing the container setting.

The first code snippet you pasted is a docker compose configuration element that is a child node of a service. Same level as image, environment, volumes.... If you already deploy your containers in Portainer as stacks, the fix is easy to apply.

update: though, doesn't the sysctl setting do the oppposite of what you did? It says to not disable ipv6, but your settings aim to disable ipv6 (think).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back