• Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 831

Currently reading
Selecting a RAID Level - Wikipedia Resource

D

Deleted member 673

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to Synology's documentation, there are three Wikipedia articles that might be helpful to some of our members who are in the process of selecting a RAID level that will best meet their requirements. These articles include many references and external links for those wanting a deeper dive into the math or technology or history.

Wikipedia: RAID Discusses standard RAID levels and the tradeoffs between goals of: reliability, availability, performance, and capacity. There's also an introduction to RAID data integrity and weaknesses (including correlated failures, unrecoverable errors, atomicity, and write-cache reliability).

Wikipedia: Standard RAID Levels Includes a discussion (with diagrams) of the most common RAID configurations.

Wikipedia: Nested RAID Levels Includes a discussion (with diagrams) of RAID 10, along with several other less common nested RAID variations.

Unfortunately, Synology SHR is not mentioned in the section about software RAID implementations in various operating systems . Perhaps one of our more experienced members (or someone from Synology) would be inclined to add that information to the Wikipedia article.

Ron

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.