NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to a new DS920+ device and so my old and now redundant DS216J is no longer needed and I'm looking to sell it on eBay. My question regards device security as I stupidly moved my drives across to the new device in haste without doing a factory reset on the old device. Is DSM stored on DS216J via an internal partition or is it stored on the drives?

If it's stored on the drives then I'm not concerned but if it's stored on the device directly then I'll need to get in and do a factory reset before selling it.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Dark

no

Why sell it? Why not use it as a backup device in some arrangement?
So to clarify, any settings/passwords etc that would have been stored on DSM, won't be there so it is safe to sell?

I genuinely have no need for it. I have more storage than I could possibly need in my new device and it already does everything I require from it. If I can make a little money out of the old one then that can't be a bad thing can it..?!?

So to clarify, any settings/passwords etc that would have been stored on DSM, won't be there so it is safe to sell?
Correct

I genuinely have no need for it. I have more storage than I could possibly need in my new device and it already does everything I require from it. If I can make a little money out of the old one then that can't be a bad thing can it..?!?
not bad indeed, but where are you backing up you nas data to? If you need it backed up that is?

If you don't include the drives as you stated
I stupidly moved my drives across to the new device
Doing so, you retained the 16TB volume cap, and will miss out on all advanced features requiring btrfs formatting, effectively crippling the 920+. Your should rethink this, or just get a 420j.

If you don't include the drives as you stated

Doing so, you retained the 16TB volume cap, and will miss out on all advanced features requiring btrfs formatting, effectively crippling the 920+. Your should rethink this, or just get a 420j.
Already one step ahead of you. I realised this a month after getting the device and ended up using a spare old PC a friend lent me to remove all data from the drives and reformat them as I required, then put the data back on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back