Senior Discount at Western Digital

Currently reading
Senior Discount at Western Digital

I couldn't find this when I searched. If you want WD products, there is "Senior Discount at Western Digital" of 15%. To get your voucher code you will need to provide some identification as proof.

Last edited:
I needed 4TB NAS . The WD Red Pro have a fast Transfer Rate for this particular TB size of 217m/s (Ironwolf for 4TB has 180MB/s). For lower sized TB disks under 6TB, performance ratings (and power consumption) varies quite a bit between NAS drives between WD Gold, WD Pro Red and Ironwolf... and good to check their supplier datasheets if looking for lower sized TB.

The 15% covers WD shop online, covering many different products.

I needed 4TB NAS . The WD Red Pro have a fast Transfer Rate for this particular TB size of 217m/s (Ironwolf for 4TB has 180MB/s). For lower sized TB disks under 6TB, performance ratings (and power consumption) varies quite a bit between NAS drives between WD Gold, WD Pro Red and Ironwolf... and good to check their supplier datasheets if looking for lower sized TB.

The 15% covers WD shop online, covering many different products.
Try comparing the 4TB Red Pro 217MB/s to the equivalent from Seagate, the Ironwolf Pro which is 220MB/s. Both 7200rpm drives.

The standard 4TB Ironwolf at 180MB/s is a 5900rpm drive. The equivalent Red Plus is 5400rpm and 175MB/s.

The Red Plus is actually now a 7200rpm drive, despite what they say! Not sure why the times were slower unless that was an old one they compared.

For 4TB size, the Red Pro max transfer is 217MB/s . The Seagate Ironwolf Pro which is slower at 214MB/s. Links to datasheets I've seen added. If I've misread or not found the latest datasheets, huge apologies, and let me know!

To add, the WD Red Pro 4TB has a much lower power rating on idle of 3.7W (v's 6.0 W for the Ironwolf Pro)... and means heat in a multi bay unit can be lower.

Flagging, as for lower value TB disks, it is good to check the datasheets for the specific TB size, as the these values vary a alot with no hard and fast rule as to which make is best.

Unfortunately, the datasheets on hard drives are nowhere near what they used to be back in the day where the data was pure engineering data. Now, it's a mixture of marketing fluff and real data. :(

So take those transfer speeds with a grain of salt, the RPMs with a grain of salt, and probably even the power ratings with a grain of salt as these are closer to marking numbers than the real engineering specs.

Instead, look at the class of drive based on its use-case and intended audience. A 5yr warranty enterprise drive by any company will be competing against the same. A 3yr warranty 'nas' drive will be competing against the same, and so on.

I have top tier enterprise sata drives from the main guys--WD/HGST/Seagate/Toshiba. And while the drives have slightly different properties, they're all essentially the same thing. Now, compare any of these with their SAS brethern and you'll see the differences. Compare them with 'nas' drives or desktop ones and you'll see a difference.

A little food for thought. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.