Server cabinet for home build..

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Good evening,

We are about to move into our new spot which has a lovely big attic where all my home tech goodies will be housed.

I need to house a Synology DS920+, USG and RaPi 4 with PDU and UPS in future, any recommendation for a cheap (but not rubbish) server rack/cabinet I can bolt onto the wall please? Maybe add a 8 or 16 port switch in the future too.

Many thanks!

any 19" (wide) x 450mm (deep) rack is useful for this setup .... in this case no need deeper rack than 500mm

Just an irresponsible person will provide you an exact rack part no. (or link) without calculation of the rack HEIGHT.

For the ideal height you need to count with these variables - when room temp is maintained there (no basement or similar colder place is in your setup):
- airflow is your friend, then a closed rack will kill the airflow. Even too closely stepped devices will break the airflow (ambient heat radiation)
- dust is an enemy for the airflow, then closed rack needs a forced airflow (additional fans, better is regulated by temp/rpm)
- you need to find how many rack "U" units you will need. Single "U" is about 44.45mm or 1.75" = tall of the device attached to the rack
- when "N" is the final number of U used in the rack, the useful formula for rack panel height (inner) is:
a) h = 1.75 x N (inches)
b) h = 44.45 x N (millimetres).
Note: don't forget for the next 5y upgrades (new devices) - it will save your investment in the new rack (height, deep dimensions).

An example:
- for the DS920 you need to count with 4U + 1U for a shelf mount + 0.5U for the upper free airflow = finally 5.5U
- for the rackmount switch (8/16p) you need 1U + 0.5U for airflow = 1.5U

use paper and pencil, then calculate your ideal rack dimensions, then use google:
19" rack with deep (your expectation) and height (inner calculated + 80mm or more)
Note: don't forget to check the 'inner" height of the rack = your calculated value.

any 19" (wide) x 450mm (deep) rack is useful for this setup .... in this case no need deeper rack than 500mm

Just an irresponsible person will provide you an exact rack part no. (or link) without calculation of the rack HEIGHT.

For the ideal height you need to count with these variables - when room temp is maintained there (no basement or similar colder place is in your setup):
- airflow is your friend, then a closed rack will kill the airflow. Even too closely stepped devices will break the airflow (ambient heat radiation)
- dust is an enemy for the airflow, then closed rack needs a forced airflow (additional fans, better is regulated by temp/rpm)
- you need to find how many rack "U" units you will need. Single "U" is about 44.45mm or 1.75" = tall of the device attached to the rack
- when "N" is the final number of U used in the rack, the useful formula for rack panel height (inner) is:
a) h = 1.75 x N (inches)
b) h = 44.45 x N (millimetres).
Note: don't forget for the next 5y upgrades (new devices) - it will save your investment in the new rack (height, deep dimensions).

An example:
- for the DS920 you need to count with 4U + 1U for a shelf mount + 0.5U for the upper free airflow = finally 5.5U
- for the rackmount switch (8/16p) you need 1U + 0.5U for airflow = 1.5U

use paper and pencil, then calculate your ideal rack dimensions, then use google:
19" rack with deep (your expectation) and height (inner calculated + 80mm or more)
Note: don't forget to check the 'inner" height of the rack = your calculated value.
Thank you for that, are you able to able me with the following calculations, I think a 9U should be enough for:

1x USG (the small little 4 port one)
1x DS920+
1x Raspberry Pi 4
1x 8 port Netgear switch for now, will upgrade to a rack mounted 16 port POE
1x Power distribution block
Maybe 1x NVR rack mounted but not anytime soon.
1x Cyberpower UPS

What I miss in your setup:
1. Patch panel for wall ethernet sockets wires (from other rooms).
Q: Do you have some? Or only WiFi connection are expected?

2. follow your devices setup I counted:
USG … 1x WAN + 2x LAN
NAS … 4x LAN ports
RPi … 1x LAN port
Sum = 8 ports what is Ok for your setup with the 8 ports Netgear switch
but need to count with the answer from point No.1
UPS w/o LAN? … to be sure
Q: I miss a WiFi AP eth port in this list. This is related to the point No. 1. No such element in your network architecture? OFC you can use one of the LAN port from the USG, but for more features is quite better use the new switch. Yes, Unifi. You have two choices purchase switch w/o POE + rack passive POE injector …. or POE switch. This is additional U in your rack.

3. NVR future stage … you need pull additional wires from cameras to the rack. Then the parch panel is necessary also in this case.

You need to finish your homework.

What I miss in your setup:
1. Patch panel for wall ethernet sockets wires (from other rooms).
Q: Do you have some? Or only WiFi connection are expected?

2. follow your devices setup I counted:
USG … 1x WAN + 2x LAN
NAS … 4x LAN ports
RPi … 1x LAN port
Sum = 8 ports what is Ok for your setup with the 8 ports Netgear switch
but need to count with the answer from point No.1
UPS w/o LAN? … to be sure
Q: I miss a WiFi AP eth port in this list. This is related to the point No. 1. No such element in your network architecture? OFC you can use one of the LAN port from the USG, but for more features is quite better use the new switch. Yes, Unifi. You have two choices purchase switch w/o POE + rack passive POE injector …. or POE switch. This is additional U in your rack.

3. NVR future stage … you need pull additional wires from cameras to the rack. Then the parch panel is necessary also in this case.

You need to finish your homework.
Ah, thought I was missing something. Yes, will be putting in a patch panel.

I was never good with homework :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.