RT2600ac Set MTU? Set MTU separately for ethernet ports and wifi? VLAN Support?

Currently reading
RT2600ac Set MTU? Set MTU separately for ethernet ports and wifi? VLAN Support?

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to set the MTU to 9000 (Jumbo Frames) on the RT2600ac? Put aside for the moment whether it's a good idea. I have devices on my internal network that could theoretically benefit from doing it, so I'm curious. Neither Automatic nor Manual mode in Network Center --> Internet. I'm guessing if it's not possible it's because most of the internet isn't going to want to talk directly to your router at 9000 MTU?
  2. If I connect a switch to the RT2600ac that supports MTU 9000 jumbo frames, will the router care at all, or continue to work as normal? That is, if I set the devices on the switch to use Jumbo Frames, and the switch supports jumbo frames, and I can still connect to the internet, should I assume the RT2600ac does not have a connectivity problem with the devices wired to the switch? If that works, I'm guessing the switch does some magic to convert the MTU 1500 stuff outside the switch to MTU 9000 stuff inside the switch and back.
  3. VLANs? Does the RT2600ac support VLANs at all? I suppose I could consider the guest wifi network a VLAN.

I can't answer question 2

For question 1 - unless you are running on a 10GBE network and have 10 GBE equipment connected directly to it, there is no reason to change default MTU settings - it will make things slower.

For question 1 - unless you are running on a 10GBE network and have 10 GBE equipment connected directly to it, there is no reason to change default MTU settings - it will make things slower.
Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the difficulties here, and only a single 10GbE device. I expect to get a 10 GbE NAS later on, so I'm curious and thinking about the future. I'm considering the point where I'll need to create a separate network for 10G devices vs. everything else, and trying to figure out if I even have the option to manipulate the MTU at the router level (e.g., the MTU for WiFi).

If the NAS is to be connected directly to the router, then yes. I have mine connected to a unmanaged 10 GBE switch, so I've only had to modify MTU on the NAS and my connected PC that has a 10 GBE NIC. All the rest of my network is 1 GBE, I access the NAS by its IP address for 10 GBE speeds.

If the NAS is to be connected directly to the router, then yes. I have mine connected to a unmanaged 10 GBE switch, so I've only had to modify MTU on the NAS and my connected PC that has a 10 GBE NIC. All the rest of my network is 1 GBE, I access the NAS by its IP address for 10 GBE speeds.
So if I have all the wired ethernet devices on a 2.5G/10G switch, with MTU 9000 jumbo frames set, on their own VLAN with their own subnet, it won't hamper the performance of the wifi or any wired devices not plugged into the switch?

I was worried about polluting the router and its connected devices with jumbo frames, which would not ever be my intent.

I'm assuming the router will let you set MTU for each port - as such, as long as you change port settings for the higher speed equipment you should be just fine.

The RT2600ac router does not appear to expose that functionality, but all its ports at 1GbE.

The QNAP switch DOES let me adjust port speeds manually, if auto negotiation isn't working. I haven't checked, but I assume it sets the MTU setting to 9000 for the 10GbE ports (there are two dedicated 10GbE ports).

I set all my wired ethernet devices to MTU 9000 at one point just to see what happened, and everything still worked and I could get on the internet.

My setup is this:

INET <--> RT2600ac <--> Switch, Port 1 || Switch, Ports 2-10: all 2.5 GbE or faster devices

Looks like VLAN support will come in SRM 1.3

Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 08.58.14.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.