Currently reading
setting privileges for different machines

NAS
synology 220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
hi, i have a home office now and i just got my first NAS for my home. i am totally new to this and trying to figure out how to best set this up. i have 2 office computers, 1 computer in living room which we use to watch tv and then smartphones.

i would like for each device to have different privileges. for office computers read/write to all files on nas, but for the rest of the devices and phones just read only. also if i have guests, i would like for them to be able to access folders with movies and music via their laptops or phones but with with read only privileges.

also, as i travel a lot i would like to have access to my nas files while from out of country.

is this even possible? anyone knows of a good tutorial that would explain to me how to set everything up?

thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum!

just got my first NAS for my home
Congrats! DS220+ is a perfect choice for your setup by the looks of it.

i would like for each device to have different privileges. for office computers read/write to all files on nas, but for the rest of the devices and phones just read only
Authentication towards your apps/services and data on your NAS is done by the use of NAS account inside DSM (NAS OS).

also if i have guests, i would like for them to be able to access folders with movies and music via their laptops or phones but with with read only privileges.
As much as you can enable a "guest" account, would suggest again to set up custom guest accounts, meaning accounts that will have the permissions that you described on the content you want them to see (or not to see).

as i travel a lot i would like to have access to my nas files while from out of country.
There are a few options. QuickConnect, DDNS, or VPN (or a combination of them). Best to look at our Resource section first and search the forum for specific topics/sections. If you don't find what you are looking for, open a specific thread, or for the time being, continue here.

Feel free to ask anything and if there are similar topics memebers will point you in the right direction.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.