Currently reading
Setting up 10Gbe for single PC and 1821+

NAS
DS1019+, DS1821+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hopefully someone can direct me to the simplest effective way to setup a 10Gb connection between my PC and my new 1821+ that is on the way. I will need to purchase 10Gb cards for both. I will be using the 10Gb connection to transfer large files between the two devices, and I also run a torrent program on my PC with many of the torrents downloading directly to the NAS. I realize running a torrent program on the NAS may be better, but for my use I prefer using the interface on my PC. Ideally, all of the torrent traffic would also be handled by the 10Gb connection to the NAS if that is possible. I also have a ds1019+ on the same network that is located physically next to the 1819+, so I would like that NAS to also have the best connection possible, but I can live with 1Gb if it means adding a lot of complication or expense. I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk router, but a router/mesh upgrade would not be out of the question if it makes the most sense.

to be sure, the torrent sources come from WAN to PC then to NAS and you would like to arrange direct way to the NAS from WAN? What is your current real download performance (sustainable speed, no speed from a ISP product sheet).

your primary question has been answered already here:

Yes, if it is possible I would like to have as much as possible offloaded to the 10Gb connection so I'm not saturating the 1Gb with torrent traffic in addition to my Emby server traffic. I have Gigabit internet which normally gives me a bandwidth test result around 800Mb/s. I am not currently getting full speed from my torrent traffic for an unknown reason that I am investigating. My torrents normally run around 40-50MB/sec. I'm not sure how much of my speed limitation is because of transferring from WAN to PC to NAS

A recapitulation:

1. You need cover:
a) the torrent traffic from WAN to somewhere in LAN, e.g. to the 1821+
b) traffic between the 1821+ and your computer, based on transfer of max. 5 files (movies) to Handbrake transcoding (computer) and back to the NAS
c) traffic within LAN based on Emby media server with max. streaming throughput about 80Mbps per client and you have 10 clients
d) an unknown traffic to another NAS1819+

2. Your first physical limitation is the WAN throughput = max sustainable 800Mbps from the 1024Mbps. Currently covered by Netgear Nighthawk router (low performance of switching capacity there).

3. Your second limitation is cost, follow your post from previous thread. You would like use direct 10Gbps connection between the computer (secondary 10Gbps NIC necessary) and the NAS (1821+).

then:

rather than waste of time how to utilize 10G throughput with such low level speed requirements it’s better to:

1. take paper and pencil and draw your LAN architecture (as-is) and to-be 1G with LACP support (4x in each NAS, or 10G single NIC for the computer). No need dual NICs as is necessary for direct PC-NAS connection.
2. then purchase suitable elements (1G L2 managed switch with LACP, CAT6 wires and maybe new router for better security), what is more important for your operation than 10G adapter for your NAS.

then you can get 4G LAN between your NASes or necessary computers for cost of two 10G SFP+ adapters
and friendly speaking- you will utilize such network for max 50% for next x-years with described operation model.

10G NIC in your NAS is for you like 3mix dive bottle medium for max 15m diving. Pretty, but doesn’t make a sense.

Last edited:
I'm not very concerned with cost unless this will be more than about $1500. I look at it like owning a sports car. I don't need it to go fast most of the time, but I don't mind paying for the ability when I feel like it. Max speed between my single PC and the NAS would be top priority, as I sometimes transfer multiple TB per day, and I would like to speed up that process as well as keep from choking out the network while I am moving files around. Max speed between to 2 NAS is lower priority for my needs. I would be happy to upgrade the router if needed as well.
-- post merged: --

Also, I pre-encode movies from my PC to the NAS for remote users almost constantly, and while that is encoding it will often kill the network traffic when I also am browsing/transferring files.

defined part of buyers cluster are looking for an internal apologize of investment into their own joy. This is common attitude of their pre-purchasing processes.
... why to spend so long time with research of already decided step? Just do it. There isn’t space for an efficiency.

I don't understand all of your language, but I am merely trying to educate myself on how some of the networking side works on these devices, as I am not familiar with 1G+ networking. I was looking for help in purchasing the right equipment to do what I want it to do. I appreciate your suggestions, but if 4x1G lan with LACP doesn't give me full 4G throughput from my PC, I would prefer a different approach to get maximum transfer speeds while not choking out my media server during transferring and encoding to my NAS from my PC.

I don't understand all of your language, but I am merely trying to educate myself on how some of the networking side works on these devices, as I am not familiar with 1G+ networking. I was looking for help in purchasing the right equipment to do what I want it to do. I appreciate your suggestions, but if 4x1G lan with LACP doesn't give me full 4G throughput from my PC, I would prefer a different approach to get maximum transfer speeds while not choking out my media server during transferring and encoding to my NAS from my PC.
Go for a full 10G. You will need both compatible adapters on both ends and ofc a working 10G switch. Not a lot of those flying around nowadays but there are some 5,8 and 16port ones out there. It will depend on your budget but for the pice that you listed you can def get all the parts you need.

Go for a full 10G. You will need both compatible adapters on both ends and ofc a working 10G switch. Not a lot of those flying around nowadays but there are some 5,8 and 16port ones out there. It will depend on your budget but for the pice that you listed you can def get all the parts you need.
It is my understanding that it is possible to go NIC to NIC directly since there is only 1 NAS and PC on the 10G then I can always add a switch later. I am going to try that route, and I will report back. Thanks.

It is my understanding that it is possible to go NIC to NIC directly since there is only 1 NAS and PC on the 10G then I can always add a switch later. I am going to try that route, and I will report back. Thanks.
You can ofc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.